Colonial Revival - bungalow style
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This home is not listed in the 1926 or 1928 street directories although clearly marked on the 1922 Shawsheen Village map of the American Woolen Co. One of the occupants of record to lease the home in 1943 was Natale & Mary Giaimo. Natale was a barber at the Shawsheen Barber Shop, first located in the Balmoral Spa and then in the Aberdeen Merchants building. Three sons were enlisted in the armed services, Andrew and Ignatius in the US Army, and Henry a US Marines. A daughter Rosemary was employed in the Shawsheen Mill.
This house was sold to Max Geller, wife Minnie on Apr. 9, 1945 parcel 1. In May Geller purchased a second parcel to the rear of the property. It was then sold to Hazel H. Greenlaw on June 21, 1945. The property was then placed in both Walter R. & Hazel H. Greenlaw names in July 1945. Greenlaw owned just one year then sold to Alfred Joseph & Amelia B Currier on Oct. 11, 1946.
Roger R. & Barbara N. Dufresne were long time owners of 46 years from Nov. 1955 to 2001. Roger born in 1929 was a Policeman.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #17
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 336
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 8th parcel
Max Geller, wife Minnie - Apr. 9, 1945 - b. 672 p. 82 - parcel 1
Max Geller, wife Minnie - May 21, 1945 - parcel 2
Hazel H. Greenlaw - June 21, 1945 - b. 674 p. 92
Walter R. & Hazel H. Greenlaw - July 21, 1945 - b. 675 p. 215
Alfred Joseph & Amelia B Currier - Oct. 11, 1946 - b. 690 p. 387
Benjamin H. & Lillian B. Forbes - July 19, 1949 - b. 725 p. 85
Norman P. & Margaret L. St. Laurent - Jan. 29, 1952 - b. 759 p. 218
Roger R. & Barbara N. Dufresne - Nov. 8, 1955 - b. 823 p. 373
Joseph & Colleen M. Wolfgang - Mar. 30, 2001 - b. 6071 p. 153
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||George C. H. Dufton/builder|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows, slate roof now asphalt|
|Map and parcel||19-61|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/7/2015|