This house is listed in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The home, although not historic, is within the Register District.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
Edward Fleming purchased the land on June 27, 1908 from the John Barrett estate. It was Edward T. Fleming that developed the house lots along Hillside Ave. in 1923. The estate consisted of two parcels of land on Haverhill St. adjoining the Boston & Maine Railroad and along what was to become Hillside Avenue now Fleming Ave. Originally the street went straight up the hill on the east side of the store on Haverhill St. and was probably the driveway to the Barrett house at #4 Fleming and Alexander Cohen’s home #56 Haverhill St..
This side of Fleming Ave was developed in the 1960s. This Cape style home was built by the Champy Construction Company who acquired the property on Nov. 15, 1962. Donald C. & Gayle C. Mooers purchased the home on Oct. 30, 1970 and owned for six years. James A. & Nancy J. Demers became the second owners on May 12, 1976. Victor L. Nunez Jr. and Ruth Nunez then purchased on July 27, 2007. Ruth Nunez was deeded the property on Feb. 2, 2009 and remains the owner of record in 2016.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Plans #528 Aug. 10, 1923 Hillside Ave, #830 Aug. 1930, plan of Hillside, #928 Edward Fleming
#4932 Dec. 1963 Lot 13A
William Lawson - 1856
John Barrett -
John Barrett - Nov. 17, 1891 - b. 116 p. 366 - Cohen house & 2a lot
John Barrett - July 3, 1900 - b. 178 p. 230 – 232 two parcels
John Barrett estate, Jane Barrett, trustee - 1901
Edward Fleming - June 27, 1908 - b. 262 p. 346
John J. Fleming - May 15, 1960 - b. 915 p. 30
Henry J. & Pauline E. Beaulieu - to MacNeil -
Donald A. MacNeil - Nov. 15, 1961 - b. 948 p. 262
Champy Construction Co., Inc. - Nov. 15, 1962 - b. 977 p. 351
Donald C. & Gayle C. Mooers - Oct. 30, 1970 - b. 1161 p. 456
James A. & Nancy J. Demers - May 12, 1976 - b. 1281 p. 683
Victor L. & Ruth Nunez, Jr. - July 27, 2007 - b. 10855 p. 280
Ruth Nunez - Feb. 2, 2009 - b. 11449 p. 188
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||18-13A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 3/3/2016|