Other features: Beams, nails suggest pre-750; first floor windows in front replaced; 1st floor changed.
Original owner: Chandler
Other owners: Gardener Abbot, blacksmith; Capt. Joseph Gleason; Moses Abbot, Jr.; Frank Abbot sold to Fred Berry, who remodelled in early 1900's. Amelia Shapley owner until 1932. Clarence Morrison Jr. owner, 1940 - 1947 (?). Rev. Robert Gamble in 1962.
Subsequent uses: boarding house for road builders and seminary, carpenters after 1805
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: Hidden road formerly south Street.
Original house on site known as "Little red house on the Woburn Road". Built around 1750 by Chandler, passed down Chandler line to John, son of David. In 1780 - 1782, Lt. Gov. Samuel Phillips Jr. and family moved here after vacating George Abbot House, Phillips Street, to make room for Eliphapet Pearson. Second son, Samuel, born here, 1782. Phillips purchased thirds from widow of David Chandler, lived here while waiting for Mansion House to be built. Benjamin Butters occupied 1783.
Parachias Abbot of Wilmington married Hanna Holt and moved here after 1802, when son Moses, born. Moses was surveyor, married Elizabeth Holt, secretary to Judge Phillips. Belonged to Chandlers until ca. 1805, then Moses Abbot - who worked for James Locke at Mansion House and at his tavern (111 Main Street). 1805 - workmen building Turnpike stayed here, as did carpenters of seminary buildings, like Vinel. Orchards planted by Moses Abbot.
Moses Abbot of Andover, who married (1) Martha Frye and (2) Priscilla Flint, moved here after 1802, when son Moses Abbot was born to Martha. The line of descent was: George Abbot who married Hannah Chandler, John (2) Abbot, John (3) Abbot, Barachias (4), Captain Moses (5) - the surveyor, Moses (6) who married Martha Frye and had Moses (7) - born 1802. Moses (6) Abbot moved to 15 Hidden Road after Moses (7) was born. Moses (6) was a confidential clerk and assisted Judge Phillips. (Ref. Jan 4, 1989 obit. for Moses (7) Abbot). Moses (7) Abbot worked for James Locke at the Mansion House.
Andover Historical Society files.
Fuess, Claude; Old New England School: History of
Phillips Academy, p. 31, 32, 122
"Old House on Andover Hill" Phillips Bulletin, July 1915
Goldsmith, Bessie; Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
Poore, Alfred; "History of Andover" in Andover Advertiser from Historical and Genealogical Researches of Merrimack Valley (South Street), June 27, 1863
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Abbot, Moses - Chandler, John House|
|Construction Date||ca. 1750|
|Major Alterations||David Hidden - prob. did 1807 - 1810 remodeling|
|Acreage||1.14 acres; approx. frontage:275'|
|Map and parcel||57-36|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977|