The parcel of land, now parking for the 60 Center Street Condominium Trust was lot #21 on the Ballard Vale Machine Shop map of 1848 by Franklin Darracott.
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property along Marland St. in 1847. They then sub- divided the Pole Hill land into house lots and began selling off parcels in 1847. A map of the Ballard Vale Machine Shop Company holdings was drawn out by Franklin Darracott in 1848.
This property, numbered Lot #17 & #19 on the plan of land. Marland & Howe of the Marland Mills in Ballardvale auctioned off several lots in the Village on Wednesday, July 28, 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbot and Porter of Boston.
A John Howard Nicholas (Nichols) purchased six adjoining lots on June 1, 1864 from David Boynton. Three fronting on Center St. , #10, #12, #16 (sometimes referred to as Central St. in deeds), and three fronted on Marland St. #17, #19, and #21. Lots #16 & #17 south boundary lines was on Howe St. (sometimes called Cross St), laid out by never built. A paper street today.
Nichols later sold his lots to Charles H. Marland for $500. on October 31, 1882. No mention of buildings on any lot in the deeds. Charles Marland had between 1884 - 1888 the six unit apartment building at 60 Center St. built in 1884. The 1884 map does show the building on the site. Marland later built a duplex house at #17 Marland but it is only noted on the 1888 map of Ballardvale. Charles Marland lived at 3 Chester St. (see 3 & 5 Chester for Marland history.) Charles' wife Laura inherited the property and with her death son Charles N. Marland purchased the properties which also included the apartment house at 60 Center St. for $3500. These properties would remain with the Marland family until selling to Thomas Chadwick on Sept. 4, 1935. They were all investment rental income property.
Thomas Chadwick and wife Etta Elizabeth owned the properties for eleven years selling to Nunzio & Antoinette Zappla of Lawrence, MA on Nov. 22, 1944. It would be the Zappala family that sub-divided the parcels in 1966 leaving lots #16, 17 and 19 as parcel 2 on Marland St. and lots 12, 14 and 21 as parcel 1 on Center St. which included the six apartments building. Nunzio & Antoinette sold of the apartment house on Center St. to Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo on Nov. 17, 1966.
The Molollo family would convert the apartment building into condominiums in 2006.
Register of Historic Places
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files, church records.
Ballard Vale Machine Shop map 1848 - lots #17 & #19
Andover maps, 1852, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Plan #5558 - Sept. 12, 1966 - Zappla sub-divide land
David Boynton, wife Martha -
John Howard Nichols (Nicholas), wife Charlotte P. - June 1, 1864 - b. 672 leaf 157 $400. (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Charles H. Marland - Oct. 31, 1882 - b. 70 p. 27 - $500. (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Charles H. Marland estate, Laura E. Marland heir -
Laura E. Marland estate, Clover Stone, Trustee - Jan. 25, 1923 - Probate
Charles N. Marland - June 12, 1923 - b. 480 p. 521 - $3500
Charles N. Marland estate, heirs, Anna L. Laura N., Charlotte and Edna Marland - probate
Thomas Chadwick - Sept. 4, 1935 - b. 592 p. 263 - (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Thomas & Ettta Elizabeth Chadwick - May 13, 1944 - b. 663 p. 68
Nunzio & Antoinette Zappla - Nov. 22, 1944 - b. 669 p. 271
Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo - Nov. 17, 1966 - b. 1072 p. 207
Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo - Aug. 21, 1969 - b. 1139 p. 83
Mabel H. Motolo Realty Trust - Oct. 8, 1981 - b. 1538 p. 239 - deed error
Mabel H. Motolo Realty Trust - Mar. 31, 2006 - b. 9486 p. 187 deed correction
60 Center Street Condominium Trust, Anthony J., Janice Mottolo, Marilyn Whittier, Trs. - May 18, 2006 - b. 10190 p. 22
60 Center Street Condominium Trust, May 19, 2006 - b. 10190 p. 22 - Master Deed.
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||60 Center St. Condominium Trust|
|Present Use||Condominium parking|
|Original Use||vacant land|
|Map and parcel||157-62|
|Recorded by||Stack /Mofford/ Ruth A. Sharpe, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||04/01/2006, 8/4/2016|