LHD - Style: Late Greek - Picturesque
This two family house built in 1888 and has a clapboard exterior and asphalt roof. 2 units with 2 baths and 8 rooms, 4 bedrooms. A brick & stone foundation. Of Late Greek style it has an open side porch, front bay windows. Built close to the sidewalk.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This property was once owned by the Ballard Vale Machine Shop in 1847 and purchased by the Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co. in 1858, which went bankrupt in 1869. Assignees of the company; Edward Page, John W. Beals, Thomas J. Homer of Boston and Thornton K. Lothrup of Milton, MA sold off the holdings at auction. Craighead & Kintz would purchase the manufacturing plant and Stephen Blaney of Peabody, MA purchased six parcels of land along Andover St. and one on River St. on April 20, 1870. This lot was one of Blaney's six parcels.
Blaney's land on the east side of Andover Street extended from Clinton Court north of this property and included the present day Ballardvale Playground. Blaney sold this lot for $200 to Albert E. Willard of Ballardvale on June 14, 1888. Andover Townsman (AT) July 6, 1888. P. 5 Ballardvale - "Albert E. Willard has broken ground for the foundation of a house on his recently purchased lot on Andover Street." AT July 20 BV - " A. T. Clark has the contract to build Albert E. Willards' home." Albert Willard then transferred the deed his wife Florence S. Willard on August 24, 1898.
Albert Edward Willard was b. June 30, 1860 in Charlestown, MA son of Lewis & Frances A. (Parker) Willard. In 1870 Albert is living in Charlestown and is listed as a Potter. He would later come to Andover and become involved with the Ballardvale Stonewar Manufacturing Company. He would then become partners in the company which also produced under the names, "Weston & Willard Pottery", "Willard & Sullivan Pottery" and Willard & Sons, Ballardvale, Mass.
Albert married in Andover on May 19, 1883 to Florence Lucinda Salmond b. June 13, 1864 in Windham, NH, daughter of David & Mary (Lawrence) Salmond. Albert and Florence had two children: Florence Mae b. Jan. 24, 1884 and Lewis Franklin b. Feb. 13, 1888. By 1900 the WIllard's had moved to Somerville, MA and Albert is employed as a hotel clerk. The home was most likely rented after they moved from Andover.
Margaret Clinton, wife of John H. Clinton purchased the home on Feb. 18, 1905. the property was in the Clinton family until 1993, when it was purchased by Joseph W. Watson, Jr..
Joe Watson purchased and additional vacant lot of land adjoining this property the Mildred F. Legault estate on April 10, 1992.
An open back porch has recently been added(1993?).
1977 Mildred F. Clinton
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street directories
Stephen Blaney - 1870 - land
Albert E. Willard, wife Florence S. - June 14, 1888 - b. 99 p. 314 - $200 lot
Arthur J. Willard - Aug. 24, 1898 - b. 164 p. 161
Florence S. Willard - Aug. 27, 1898 - b. 164 p. 162
Margaret Clinton, wife of John H. - Feb. 18, 1905 - b. 218 p. 93
John H. Clinton - Apr. 30, 1918 - b. 386 p. 284
John H. Clinton estate - Probate #207062
Joseph W. Watson Jr. - Apr. 10, 1992 - b. 3440 p. 333
Joseph W. Watson Jr. Irrevocable Realty Trust - Mar. 23, 1993 - b. 3683 p. 112
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Albert Willard - John H. Clinton House|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Open back porch|
|Acreage||0.793 acre; Lot size: 8,800 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: 50'|
|Map and parcel||137-33|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe, James S. Batchelder (Ballardvale Historic District)|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977; Feb 1998. 11/13/2016|