154 Main Street

Architectural Description: 

NRDIS NRMRA

Italianate/Bracketed eaves
Cable twist moldings on corner boards; tall two over two windows

House faces south (uphill)

Historical Narrative: 

The property along the east side of Main St. from Punchard Ave. to Wheeler Ave. was owned by the Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund prior to 1810. Seven lots were divided up along the east side of the new Essex Turnpike and sold off at auction on April 18, 1810. Isaac Abbott (wife Charlotte) purchased lots #2 & #3 at auction for $625. Issac would later sell the property to Amos Blanchard on April 3, 1822. Blanchard held the land for 11 years then selling the lots to David S. Pearson on Dec. 28, 1833 for $900. David entered into a contract agreement on May 1, 1834 with Jacob Chickering, carpenter to build his home for $2700 at 148 Main St. David Pearson took a mortgage on his new home with John Smith, president of the Smith, Dove & Co. on April 8, 1835 but defaulted on the loan. Smith took possession on Jan. 2, 1837. John Smith owned for three years then selling to Bela B. Edwards on April 7, 1940 for $4750.
Bella added this parcel to his property Oct. 17, 1848 of about ½ acre adjoining his home lot.

Mary Dwight, sister-in-law of Egbert Smyth, professor at Andover Theological Seminary, lived here after Smyth's death. She was "one of Andover's colorful characters". She occupied the house in 1913 and for some years around that time. House probably built by Hannah Newman Fay.

James Anguilo research (8-28-1993):
Lot for house created in 1860 from portion of lot of the late Bela B. Edwards estate - house at 148 Main was being run as "The Nunnery" by wife, Jerusha W. (Billings) Edwards and daughter, Sara. (See tax books, Newman files of Andover Historical Society)

It appears Hannah H. (Newman) Fay, widow of Rev. Samuel Austin Fay, moved into new house shortly after its completion (1868) and lived there until shortly before her death in 1889, when she moved to a convalescent home "on the Hill". (see her obituary, AHS files)

July 3, 1868 AA – Mrs. Hannah N. Fay is about to erect a dwelling house next south of the residence of Mrs. B. B. Edwards, on Main St.

Hannah Fay was never deeded the property by the Edwards, as it appears to have stayed within that family until April 25,1888, at which time "all the property held on Main Street" was sold to the Trustees of Phillips Academy. (see Deed, Book 95, p. 154, Lawrence Registry)

Hannah and her sister, Margaret, did, however, own two pieces of land given to them by their father, Mark Newman, the 3rd Phillips principal, when he died in 1859. One of these lots, at NW corner of Central & School Streets, was deeded to the Christ Episcopal Church around 1885. (Grantor Index, Lawrence Registry)

Mary Dwight, sister-in-law of Egbert Smyth, professor of church history at Andover Theological Seminary, lived in house, probably around 1910, known as original "back-seat driver". (Townsman's Andover, p. 90)

PA Instructor Frederick Boyce and his family lived in house from 1917-1947. (Andover telephone directories.) ATS owned the house as late as 1927, but they were trying to sell property to PA since 01-18-1918 and couldn't because of misplaced deed from the 1908 transaction (!). N. Andover realtor John Hamilton Morse transacted the sale in 1927. (deeds, Lawrence)

Building marker 1994

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Goldsmith, Bessie: Townswoman's Andover, p. 90
Morse, Nathaniel: 1932, Teems of Trustees, p. 202
See also 1918-1919 directory real estate agent, Boston
See enclosures in AHS binder
James Anguilo pursuing deed work
See plan #310 - Andover Theological Sem. 1908 - 3 parcels

Owners;
Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund, Samuel Farrar, Treas. – March 1810
Isaac Abbott, wife Charlotte – Apr. 18, 1810 – b. 190 leaf 81 – lots 2 & 3 - $625
Amos Blanchard – Apr. 13, 1822 – b. 228 leaf 211 -
David Sewel Pearson – Dec. 28, 1833 rec. 6/10/1834 - b. 271 leaf 297 - $900
David S. Pearson with Jacob Chickering – May 1, 1834 – b. 278 leaf 46 – contract to build
David Sewel Pearson, wife Sarah – Apr. 8, 1835 – b. 282 leaf 138 – mtg. $3000
David S. Pearson to John Smith - Jan. 2, 1837 – b. 296 leaf 23 mtg. deed
John Smith – Jan. 3, 1837 – b. 296 leaf 24 - possession
Bela B. Edwards - Apr. 7, 1840 - b. 318 leaf 148 - first lot & house
second parcel adjoining
Trustees of Phillips Academy - 1848
Bela B. Edwards - Oct. 17, 1848 - b. 418 leaf 43 - ½ acre adjoining lot
Jerusha W. Edwards and dau. Sarah E. Park, Heirs of Bela
Hannah N. Fay built house on lot in 1868
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Apr. 16, 1888 - b. 95 p. 154
Trustee of Andover Theological Seminary - July 1, 1908 - b. 267 p. 10 [18] - parcel 13: 148, 154, 158 Main St.
John Hamilton Morse - Jan 8, 1918 - b. 532 p. 393 confirmation deed
Trustees of Phillips Academy - May 20, 1927 - b. 532 p. 394
Javier Lange Miller - July 18, 1979 - b. 1381 p. 72
Lange - Miller Realty Trust, Glenn K. & Javier Miller Trs. -Apr. 10, 1984 - b. 1799 p. 24
Archie M & Carolyn Y. Richard, Jr. - May 30, 1985 - b. 1978 p. 162
Archie M & Carolyn Y. Richard, Jr. - Aug. 9, 1988 - b. 2783 p. 205
James M. & Donna L. Angiulo - June 24, 1989 - b. 2955 p. 155
Michael C. Brower & Julie Scolnik - Oct. 8, 1994 - b. 4155 p. 271
Brower - Scolnik Realty Trust - Jan. 10, 2005 - b. 9806 p. 28
Niles Overly - June 27, 2013 - b. 13530 p. 178

Inventory Data:

StreetMain St
PlacePhillips District
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic NameFay House
Present Useresidence/dormitory
Original Usefaculty residence
Construction Date1868
Architectural StyleItalianate
Foundationbrick/stone
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structurestwo sheds
Major Alterationsremodeled
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.332 acre; approx. frontage 80'
SettingResidential/Educational
Map and parcel40-58
MHC NumberANV.353
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77/1993 - 3/19/2015

Images: 

Map: