Period granite doorsteps and boot scraper; 4 fireplaces; wing and north end and second story over north door added later.
Themes: Architectural, community development, social/humanitarian.
Original owner: Benjamin Gleason
The property along the east side of Main St. from Punchard Ave to Morton St. and up tp Wheeler Ave was owned by the Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund. Seven lots were divided up along the new Essex Turnpike and sold off at auction on April 18, 1810. This lot #1 was purchased by Benjamin Gleason, Bricklayer, for $425 and contained 98 sq. rods.
In 1810, when the Gleason brothers built this house, there was only one house on Main Street, when the first seminary buildings went up. In 1815, house sold by Benjamin Gleason to Andover Theological Seminary Trustees (ATS). Nehemiah Abbot was an ATS steward and treasurer of Board of Phillips Academy. His wife, Sarah Abbot, was founder of Abbot Academy. She lived here until 1848, in the south half of the house.
William Wells lived in north side. He was English professor at P.A. [1836-1847] - known as "Grammar Wells ", having written a textbook, 1846. His twins were born here.
The Rev. Wyman Coleman, principal of Teacher's Seminary, lived here also, 1837-1840
After 1851, house occupied by one family, Rev. Samuel Jackson's, who resided here 31 years. Samuel Cram Jackson was born on March 13, 1802 in Dorset, Vt., son of William & Susanna (Cram) Jackson. Samuel attended the Andover Theological Seminary from which he was hired as the first Minister of West Parish Church, in Andover [1829-1849]. Samuel married Caroline R. Truse, b. Feb. 17, 1807 in Portland, ME, daughter of William & Rebecca True. Samuel and Caroline had six children; Carrie Rebecca b. Jan 5, 1830, Susanne Elizabeth b. Dec. 26, 1832, Samuel William b. May 1, 1838 d. May 22, 1839, Samuel Charles b. May 28, 1841 - d. 1869, William True b. Nov. 17, 1843, and Mary Angeline b. May 28, 1847. When Jackson retired he sold house to his successor. The Jackson family then moved to 158 Main St. Rev. Jackson then became State Librarian and Assistant Sec. of Education under Horace Mann. The Jackson family moved here from 197 Shawsheen Rd. West Andover. Jackson renovated this home before he moved in. Back rooms and woodshed were removed and a story added to original kitchen. ["a needed room, but it destroyed the symmetry" said Susanna Jackson].
Aug. 14, 1874 AA– p. 3 – An addition and other improvements have been made to the residence of Rev. Dr. Jackson, on Main St.
1897-1904 - Rev. Eward Pride resident, owned then by Andover Theological Seminary who sold to Charles Emerson Stone, 1908, a French professor at Phillips Academy. His will gave life ownership to Mrs. T. N. Richardson, then to Dr. Morris Yorshis of Methuen. 1954 - widow Stone moved.
Restored by J. Radford Abbot for Yorshis, 1955 . Dr. & Mrs. Morris Yorshis moved in 1956; used two rooms as doctor's office/waiting room.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files:
E. Kendall Jenkins; "Changes on Main Street in 60 Years", 1913
Susanne Jackson; Reminiscences of Andover, 1914, p. 20.
Andover Theological Seminary - General Catalog, 1808-1908
McKeen, Phebe & Pholena; Annals of Fifty Years, 1829-1879
A History of Abbot Academy, 1880
See plan #310 - Andover Theological Sem. 1908 - 3 parcels
Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund - 1810
Benjamin Gleason "Gleason brothers" - April 18, 1810 - b. 190 leaf 96 - $425 - lot #1 = 98 sq. rods
Trustees of Phillips Academy – Aug. 13, 1815 – b. 209 leaf 80 - $1600 w/buildings
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Apr. 16, 1888 - b. 95 p. 154 – (148 Main St.)
Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary - July 1, 1908 - b. 267 p. 10 [p.18] 13th parcel 158 & 148
Charles Emerson Stone - Mar. 15, 1909 - b. 271 p. 469
Charles E. Stone estate - Ada Menzies Dailey Stone heir - Probate #242,368
Morris Yorshis - Dec. 20, 1954 - b. 805 p. 254
Miriam Yorshis - Feb. 27, 1957 - b. 850 p. 440
Morris & Miriam Yorshis - June 11, 1985 - b. 1987 p. 205
Morris Yorshis estate, Marvin Schorr Extr. Probate #96P3186-EP1
Phillips Academy Trustees - May 1, 1997 - b. 4744 p. 236
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Gleason - Abbot - Jackson House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||remodeled 1851; interior 1955|
|Acreage||28,490 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 161' on Main St. 114' on Wheeler Rd.|
|Map and parcel||40-59|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 3/19/2015|