Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record in 1922. Andover Townsman Sept. 22, 1922 p. 8 - Mrs. Ada Mason and children have moved from Haverhill street to 16 Enmore street. In the 1923 directory William Thompson, the foreman of the storehouse of the American Woolen Co. is leasing the home. In 1928 Samuel J. Bowden was the resident.
This house was sold to Archibald J. Mayo on Oct. 8, 1936. Archibald was a Mill clerk and had been living at 95 Haverhill St. Archibald died in 1942 and Hubert H. Mayo was made Executor by Probate Court on Dec. 2, 1942. Hubert was a Watchman at the AWCo. and lived at 72 Lowell St. Hubert sold the house to Paul A. E. & Margaret C. MacInnis on May 27, 1943. Paul b. 1900 is listed as a Yard Clerk. Margaret b. 1916 a housewife.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #16
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
Archibald J. Mayo - Oct. 8, 1936 - b. 602 p. 231
Archibald J. Mayo estate, Hubert H. Mayo, Extr - Dec. 2, 1942 - Probate
Paul A. & Margaret C. MacInnis - May 27, 1943 - b. 657 p. 471
Anna Mae (Walsh) Bakke - Dec. 18, 1964 - b. 1025 p. 36
Robert L. & Mary F. Winne - June 20, 1969 - b. 1133 p. 256
Charles J. & Angela K. Leach - Sept. 15, 1972 - b. 1202 p. 523
Angela K. Leach - Sept. 29, 1978 - b. 1353 p. 125
David R. & Sandra J. Mickee - Oct. 29, 1982 - b. 1616 p. 105
Brian P. & Elizabeth M. Shea - Mar. 30, 2001 - b. 6070 p. 76
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows, enclosed front porch and screen porch, addition to rear|
|Map and parcel||19-14|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/12/2015|