Architectural significance: Colonial Revival - Bungalow style
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Riverina Rd however is the exception.
Riverina takes its name from the Australian rich lands where the finest wools in the world are grown and is the name of a large territory in Australia.
It is interesting to note that George M. Wallace, who lived in Aberfoyle, was the private secretary, close friend and confidant of William M. Wood. Wallace was the agent for the Riverina Mills, in Medford, MA from 1918-1926.It was Wallace’s suggestion to Wm. Wood that the waste wool of the company’s mills could be reclaimed for the manufacturing of carpets. The Riverina Mill was extremely successful under his direction.
The entrance to Riverina Rd from Haverhill St. was once the site of the Smith & Dove Mill, the first mill in the country built for the production of linen threads from flax.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 - 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were John R. & Mary Ness. John was a constructor of the new Andover Country Club golf course being built off Canterbury St. in 1924.
This house was sold to Donald & Katherine Harding on Oct. 8, 1943. Donald was a machinist. Harding owned for one year then sold to Waldemar M. & Marjorie von Scheven on Sept. 23, 1944. Waldemar b. 1895 was a mechanical engineer working in Salem, MA. in 1961 he is listed as a Manufacturer. His wife Marjorie b. 1895 died on Aug. 5, 1973. Waldemar remained for two more years then sold to R. Drew & Rosemarie Webb on Dec. 16, 1975. The von Scheven family owned for 31 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #4
Shawsheen Village Map by Earl Lawson 1922/1923
John Smith & Peter Smith – Dec. 29, 1841 –b. 335 leaf 99
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 Salem deed
Robert Braisford, General Degreasing Co. – July 21, 1902 – b. 197 p. 32
Beacon Trust Company. – Dec. 23, 1904 – b. 217 p. 80
Daniel C. Smith –Mar. 28, 1909 – b. 258 p. 446
Arlington National Bank – June 11, 1909 – b. 274 p. 565
James E. McGovern – July 17, 1909 – b. 275 p. 400 – mgt sale
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. – Aug. 14, 1909 - b. 277 p. 310
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920 -435 p. 215 parcel 1
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 30th parcel
Donald & Katherine Harding - Oct. 8, 1943 - b. 660 p. 135
Waldemar M. & Marjorie von Scheven - Sept. 23, 1944 - b. 667 p. 561
Waldemar M. von Scheven, heir, Marjorie von Scheven,estate - Aug. 5, 1973
R. Drew & Rosemarie Webb - Dec. 16, 1975 - b. 1273 p. 511
Warren T & Joanne M. Roy - June 15, 1976 - b. 1284 p. 134
Robert A. & Gail Coman Watts - May 17, 1983 - b. 1674 p. 26
James Deluca - Jan. 21, 2000 - b. 5661 p. 234
James & Ellen Deluca - June 16, 2005 - b. 9582 p. 230
Andover Town Treasurer - June 2, 2011 - b. 12508 p. 59
James & Ellen Deluca - May 28, 2013 - b. 13483 p. 58
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Waldemar & Marjorie von Scheven House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||52-6|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||5 Jun 1991, 7/25/2015|