fancy scroll work on front porch pillars, Carpenter Gothic elements, side dormers cut through eaves on upper half story
Porch like that on the former Merrill house at 24 Salem St. long windows; decorative ell renovated.
Themes: Architectural, community development
Originally land of farm sold to Artemus Brown by Chester Adams in 1842. Homestead across street at #161 Lowell Street.
Andover Advertiser - Mar. 19, 1880 - p.4 - "In the West Parish, Edward W. Burtt, will build a cottage house this spring, opposite the residence of Artemas Brown. It will be 23 by 30 feet, 13 foot post, with an L 25 by 15 feet. Contractors, Hardy & Cole; buildings to be completed avout the first of June."
Artemus Brown sells 39 acres of land to his grandson, Edward W. Burtt for $1000 on March 18, 1880. Edward was the son of Angeline (Brown) & William H. Burtt b. Sept. 13, 1852. He married Emma A. Jefferson on Oct. 24, 1874. Emma was the dau. of Perry M. & Carrie Jefferson. They had four daughters; Grace L., Florence A., Lucia M., and Caroline. The farm land extends from south side of Lowell St. over to Shawsheen Rd and also onto the south side of Shawsheen Rd to the Holt's farm and down to the ridge by Paschal Abbott's land. The ridge is part of the glacial moraine of Indian Ridge near the high school. Edward takes a mortgage from Sarah E. Allen, to pay for the construction of the house and barn. The loan was assigned to Stephen G. Allen after Sarah's death and paid off in 1921. Edward transferred the property in Dec. 1935 to Caroline J. Burtt. Edward died on April 19, 1938 age 85 y 5m. Edward's wife Emma A. died on Sept. 6, 1939.
Caroline sold the home to Robert & Annie M. (Porter) Scobie in May 1940. Robert was the Superintendent of the West Parish Cemetery from 1930-1952. Robert died on May 9, 1952 age 75 years. Annie P. Scobie died in August 1957 and her estate was dispersed in May 1959. The house was sold to Harry & Agnes S. Chadwick in July 1959.
The Chadwicks owned for 14 years then sold to Richard & Barbara C. Roberts in Jan. 1973. In March 2008 the deed was transferred to Barbara Roberts who continues to own the property in 2014.
The Roberts received a Preservation Award in May 2015 for their continued stewardship of the property.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser March 1880
Chester Adams land 1840's
Artemus Brown Oct. 24, 1842 - b. 334 lf. 94 Salem deeds
Edward W. Burtt - Mar. 18, 1880 - 59 p. 93 Lawrence, MA
Caroline J. Burtt - Dec. 7, 1935 - b. 596 p. 321
Robert & Anne P. Scobie - May 4, 1940 - b. 630 p. 91
Anne P. Scobie - May 1952
Anne P. Scobie estate Aug. 1957
Albert P. Pettoruto, extr. May 26, 1959
Harry & Agnes S. Chadwick - July 16, 1959 - b. 897 p. 418
Richard A. & Barbara C. Roberts - Jan. 2, 1973 b. 1209 p. 605
Barbara C. Roberts - Mar. 18, 2008 b. 11107 p. 59
see map #1235 May 1940 - land
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds Lawrence, MA
Essex Registry of Deeds Salem, MA
Andover Bld. Survey 1975
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Edward W. Burtt House|
|Original Use||residence farmhouse|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole builders|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||large attached barn|
|Major Alterations||barn remodeled 1967--1975|
|Acreage||60,370 sq. ft. approximate frontage 208'.|
|Map and parcel||89-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Morrord, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/28/2006, 1/2014|