House built about 1905, gable asphalt roof; has 8 rooms, 1 bath, 1 half bath, 4 bedrooms. It is a one unit house with 2 1/2 stories and a small open porch on the front. It has a brick and stone foundation, wooden frame.
Originally owned by John Haggerty who was in charge of the Ballardvale Fire Station which is located next door. John A. Haggetry & William Bonner purchased the lot on Oct. 1, 1902. John A. Haggetry was the sole owner on July 13, 1905. The house is listed on the 1906 map of Ballardvale Center.
John Ambrose Haggerty was born on April 10, 1868 in Andover, son of Timothy & Catherine (Donovan) Haggerty. John was a laborer when he married on April 3, 1888 to Mary Teresa Daley, b. Feb. 23, 1869, in Andover dau. of Thomas & Bridget (Hancock) Daley. John became a member of the Andover Fire Department in 1888 and lived on Central St. Jon & Mary had four children; Timothy Stephen b. Dec. 26, 1888, Mary Agnes "Molly" b. Sept. 1, 1891, Adeline Josephine b. Ag. 16, 1895 - d. April 20, 1897 and George Edward b. Aug. 24, 1907. The Haggertys owned for 22 years then sold to Florence H. Gilbert, wife of Guy W. Gilbert on Apr. 9, 1924. John and Mary Haggerty then moved to Clark Road. Mary died in 1925 and John A. died "on Thursday evening August 2, 1928 while performing his duties as driver of the combination truck." John was a member of the fire department for 40 years. Mass was held at St. Joseph's Church. "As the funeral wended its way from the home to the church the fire bells on the engine house tolled forth times, the number of years as a member of the fire department. Interment was in St. Augustine;s Cemetery.
Dr. Guy Gilbert, a dentist, and son of Dr. Charles Gilbert, also and Andover dentist who lived on Main St. and had his practice there. Guy's brother was Perley F. Gilbert, an architect, who designed the Orlando Cottage, now the Lanam Club, West Parish Vestry 1926, Town Hall renovations in 1902 and the Town Rest Home 1924 on Carmel Rd. Florence & Guy Gilbert owned the home for ten years but lost it to bank in 1934.
Arthur H. & Ethel M. Reading purchased the property on Oct. 1, 1936. The Arthur Reading family owned for 35 years then selling to Robert D. & Joyce A. Smith on Dec. 17, 1971. The home has been owned by Michael C. & Dolores Dunning since 1982.
The property was offered to the Town for expansion to a new fire station in 2018 and was purchased. The home was razed the first week of September 2019.
The new fire station was built on the lot and opened in September 2021. The former station at 163 Andover Street was razed on October 12, 2021.
See 5 Clark Rd. property
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Town directories, assessors office
Paschal Abbott - 1836
John Mann, wife Zoa - Jun. 30, 1834, rec. Jun. 7, 1836 - b. 289 leaf 211
Samuel Barr, wife Eliza - Jan. 17, 1838, rec. Apr. 5, 1841 - b. 323 leaf 251
Samuel Barr estate, heirs: Wid. Eliza, Susan Brown, Geo. Barr, Mary E. Smith, Helen A. Smith - 1877
Stephen Blaney - Dec. 12, 1877 - b. 50 p. 209
Stephen Blaney estate, Frank A. Merrill Extr. - March 4, 1901 - Probate
John A. Haggetry & William Bonner - Oct. 1, 1902 - b. 206 p. 161
John A. Haggetry - July 13, 1905 - b. 223 p. 404
John A. Haggetry - Dec. 1, 1921 - b. 450 p. 469
Florence H. Gilbert, wife of Guy W. - Apr. 9, 1924 - b. 498 p. 194
Atlantic Co-operative Bank, Lawrence, MA - Nov. 13, 1934 - b. 583 p. 499 - Poss.
Atlantic Co-operative Bank, Lawrence, MA - Nov. 13, 1934 - b. 583 p. 450 mtg. deed
Arthur H. & Ethel M. Reading - Oct. 1, 1936 - b. 601 p. 196
Robert D. & Joyce A. Smith - Dec. 17, 1971 - b. 1185 p. 258
Chandler R. & Deborah B. Grinnell - Mar. 30, 1977 - b. 1310 p. 710
Joel L. & Jeanette B. Clinkenbeard - Oct. 28, 1978 - b. 1355 p. 423
Michael C. & Delores E. Dunning - May 26, 1982 - b. 1578 p. 201
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||John Haggerty House|
|Construction Date||1902 - 1905|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard/ asbestos shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Condition||Razed Sept. 2019|
|Demolition Details||Razed by the town of Andover in Sept. 2019 for construction of a new firehouse on the site.|
|Map and parcel||137-19|
|Recorded by||Ruth Sharpe, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Sep 1998, 3/7/2016|