Classic Federial style home, symmetrical facade, hip roof and end chimneys. Nice period doorway; Doric entrance and sidelights; four fireplaces.
Porch is a later addition.
Themes: Architectual, community development.
This home is said to part of the "Underground Railroad" network in Andover harboring fugitive slaves here in route to Canada prior to the Civil War.
Moses Parker probably original owner. Moses born 1797 son of Enoch married on Dec. 27, 1820 to Dorcas Ballard Chandler b. Apr. 1, 1800 daughter of Joshua Jr. and Dorcas Chandler. Children; Dorcas Caroline b. 1821 d. Oct. 15, 1822 11m. Moses was a house joiner and yeoman. He died Jan. 14, 1841 at Charlestown, age 43. His widow Dorcas would quick claim the property to her brothers Nathan & Joshua Chandler.
Caleb Richardson Jr. purchased the property on April 11, 1846 from Nathan Chandler of Boston via his P.O.A. Joshua Chandler. Caleb was born Apr. 10, 1800, son of Caleb and Abigail (Kneeland) Richardson. Caleb married on Nov. 8, 1832 to Hannah Stevens b. Aug. 18, 1808 dau. of Daniel & Sarah (Bailey) Stevens. Children; Hannah Mariah b. Feb. 17, 1834, Abba Ann b. Oct. 1, 1835, Margaret b. Feb. 13, 1838 and George Stevens bpt. July 3, 1842. Caleb Jr. and his father joined the West Parish Church on Mar. 1, 1849. Hannah and daughters Hannah Maria and Abby Ann joined on July 6, 1851.
Caleb died on Oct. 12, 1873. Widow Hannah sold the farm in Aug. 31, 1875 to Stephen G. Allen. Parcel #1 was 3 acres and included the house. parcel #2 contained two lots each with 3 acres. Stephen also acquired lots from Artemus Brown (#161 Lowell St) on Sept. 28, 1870 and Lydia Abbott on Nov. 23, 1875. Allen had the farm for 20 years then selling to Agnes W. Gillen, wife of James Gillen on May 25, 1895. Gillen held for 9 years then sold to Addie M. Howarth, wife of Edward in Sept.1904
Grace E. Merrick then purchased the house including 10 acres of land Feb. 8, 1913. Merrick sold off several parcels of land along Shawsheen Rd. for house lots. Grace died on Aug. 14, 1948 and her two children Lathrop Merrick & Frances E. Lawrence inherited the remaining property. Lathrop Merrick, was excutor of his mother's estate and purchased his sister's share in 1949. Lathrop B. & wife Barbara H. Merrick held for 4 years selling to Richard E. & Frances Barton in Sept. 1953. At that time 4.24 acres remained with the homestead property. Barton sub-divided the lot in 1953 and laid out the Chadwick Circle development in 1961. Barton then sold the homestead lot to Alan K. & Margaret R. Porter of Lexington on June 5, 1961.
The Porters lived here for 16 years. Margo was an artist and gave private art lessons to children at her home. Phillip C. & Eleanor S. Kimball purchased the home on June 23, 1977. In 1994 one last lot was cut from the property and sold to Andover Equity Builders, Inc. Sept. 21, 1995 Ken LaRose built the new home in the south yard. James M. & Mildred E. Moran then purchased the house from Kimball on Jan. 31, 1996 and are the current owners in 2014.
Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830
Campbell, Eleanor; "West of the Shawsheen" -History of West Parish Church 1976, p. 27
[owners; Porter and Kimball have title search back to Parker ownership]
Moses Parker probably original owner.
Sarah E. Allen
Nathan Chandler, Joshua Chandler POA -
Caleb Richardson - Apr. 11, 1846 - b. 373 leaf 255
Caleb Richardson - Jan. 12, 1854 - b. 488 leaf 263 mtg.
Caleb Richardson estate, heir Wid. Hannah G. Richardson - Oct. 10, 1873
Stephen G. Allen - Aug. 31, 1875 - b. 36 p. 159
Agnes W. Gillen, wife of James - May 25, 1895 - b. 140 p. 379
Addie M. Howarth, wife of Edward - Sept. 22, 1904 0 b. 215 p. 128
Grace E. Merrick - Feb. 8, 1913 - b. 327 p. 581
Merrick Heirs; Lathrop Merrick & Frances E. Lawrence
Lathrop B. Merrick, Extr. Dec. 7, 1948 - b. 718 p. 258
Lathrop B. & Barbara H. Merrick - Oct. 28, 1949 - b. 728 p. 461
Richard E. & Frances Barton - Sept. 10, 1953 - b. 780 p. 397
Alan K. & Margaret R. Porter - June 5, 1961 b. 937 p. 227
Phillip C. & Eleanor S. Kimball - June 23, 1977 b. 1311 p. 601
Phillip & Eleanor Kimball - Mar. 4, 1994 - b. 3996 p. 128
Andover Equity Builders, Inc. Sept. 21, 1995 b. 4345 p. 350
James M. & Mildred E. Moran Jan. 31, 1996 - b. 4429 p. 328
James M. Moran - Aug. 14, 2008 - b. 11288 p. 24
James M. & Mildred E. Moran - Mar. 1, 2010 - b. 13367 p. 317
See V.F. & Walking tour brochure of West Parish Center Andover Historical Society.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds Lawrence, MA
Salem Registry of Deeds
See plans #2722 4.24 acres 1953 Barton, #4348 May 1961 Chadwick Cir., # 12718 Kimball 1995 lot div.
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Moses Parker House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||attached barn|
|Acreage||78,240 sq. ft. approximate frontage 308'.|
|Map and parcel||89-9|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/28/2006, 1/2014|