167 Highland Road

Architectural Description: 

Federal - Greek Revival Cape
High posted - one and 1/2 story modified Cape

Historical Narrative: 

Original Owner: Issac Blunt

Probably built by Issac Blunt after he gave up Blunt Tavern on Salem Street. Capt. Issac Blunt was born Sept. 26, 1766 in Andover, MA. Issac married Lois Phelps. Isaac died on Oct. 17, 1833 and wife Lois P. Blunt died here on Feb. 10, 1849. Blunt also owned training grounds which they transferred to Phillips Academy (where Fuller Memorial Bell Tower now stands).

This property was the site of the former Isaac Blunt house that was razed in late 2003 for the sub-division and development of the former farm by the North Andover Realty Corporation. A review of the historic property was done by the Andover Preservation Commission in 2003 with a Demolition Delay imposed on the house. The property structures were photographed in October 2003. The house was late razed for the new home now on the site.

Isaac & Lois Blunts' son Samuel Phelps Blunt acquired the property on Nov. 28, 1834. Samuel P. was born in May 19, 1796 and married to Perisis Bodwell b. 1795. Their children; Samuel W. P. b. 1820, Henry Augustus b. 1824, Isaac Octavius b. 3/21/1826, Angilina L. b. 1/16/1830 - d. 12/14/1832, Charles C. b. 9/7/1832 - d. 1/2/1833 and Joshua Mikah b. 9/27/1837.

Perisis died on March 18, 1866 and Samuel P. Blunt died on Feb. 10, 1868. The Blunt heirs then inherit the property and sell to Mabel E. Sellers on May 17, 1897.

Mabel Evelyn (Josselyn) Sellers was born in Lawrence, MA on June 28, 1871 daughter of William & Mary C. (Thompson) Josselyn. Mabel married at age 15 to William T. Sellers b. March 1860, also in Lawrence, son of Thomas D. & Mary A. Sellers. Mabel and William had 10 children; Mabel A, b. 1886, Mary V. b. 1888, Bessie J. b. 1891, Willa T. b. 1893, Evelyn B. b. 1895 - d. 1895, William W. b. 1897, Ruth R. b. 1901, Hilda I., b. 1903 - d. 1908, Grace A. b. 1905 and Eunice P. b. 1907.

Husband William is not listed in the 1910 census and Mable E. Josselyn remarries on July 27, 1910 to Arthur F. Pallister, carpenter, son ofFred J. & Annie (Stinson) Pallister. In 1920 Mabel is a widow, and sharing the home with her are children; Mabel A. Miller, and her children Evelyn R. 10 & Marshall W. A. Miller 13 months, Bessie J. 28, William W. 22, Ruth R. 18, Grace 15, Praise E. 12.

Mabel E. Sellers estate, Heirs - May 23, 1916 - b. 365 p. 48 Probate #134679
Sellers Farm Realty Trust, Wm. W. & James R. Sellers, Trs - Apr. 23, 2002
1856 Map: shows R. Coburn, S.P. Blunt and H. Jaquith located here
1872 Map: H. F. Jacquith
Mrs. Bessie Sellers bought from Major Blunt, about 1890 and sisters (?) Grace Myatt and Ruth Hooper lived here until about 1965. Her relative, Ruth Sellers was resident, 1943-45

A structure indicated on property as early as 1755 according to deeds; Mrs. Mabel Josselyn Sellers purchased the property in 1896. Her daughters, Grace Myatt and Ruth Hooper, have lived here since 1965. --corrections by James Sellers, 1981

Themes: architectural; community development

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Map of Andover, 1856, 1872
Directory of Andover, 1899: William Sellers, owner
See Plan map - #257 Sellers Farm
Plan - #14459 - Sub-division - July 9, 2002

Owners;
Isaac Blunt estate, Samuel Merrill, Admn. - 1834
Samuel P. Blunt - Nov. 28, 1834 - b. 295 leaf 225 - Salem deeds
Blunt Heirs - 1897
Mabel E. Sellers - May 17, 1897 - b. 155 p. 220
Mabel E. Sellers estate, Heirs - May 23, 1916 - b. 365 p. 48 Probate #134679
Sellers Farm Realty Trust, Wm. W. & James R. Sellers, Trs - Apr. 23, 2002
North Andover Realty Corp. - Feb. 27, 2003 - b. 7562 p. 268
Ross B. & Jennifer Elkin & Nancy A. Brown - Aug. 31, 2005 - b. 9741 p. 38
Ross B. & Jennifer Elkin - Dec. 12, 2007 - b. 10999 p. 118

Inventory Data:

StreetHighland Rd
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameBlunt, Isaac House/Sellers House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Datec.1830s
SourceERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style
Architectural StyleFederal
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboards
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresbarn at rear
Conditionrazed
Demolished?Yes
Demolition DetailsFall of 2003
Acreageless than one acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel24-1
MHC NumberANV.269
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 3/31/2015

Images: 

Map: