Greek Revival cottage gable end to street.
This property was once part of the Artemus Brown farm and homestead at 161 Lowell St. Brown sold two adjoining 1/3 an acre lots at $60 each to brothers, Augustine K. Russell and George Russell on Feb. 21, 1850. Augustine later purchased George’s lot in November and took a $400 mortgage on the “new dwelling house” and two lots of land from Sophia Carleton. 1850 Andover Valuation Augustine K. Russell Dwelling house & house lot $750, Shoe shop $60. George Russell House lot $50.
Augustine Kimball Russell was the oldest child of John G. & Hannah (Kimball) Russell. John Gardner Russell was born in Lynnfield/Danvers on Oct. 8, 1797 son of John Jr. & Elisabeth Russell. John was a shoemaker and married on Jan. 9, 1820 in Bradford, MA to Hannah Kimball b. Mar. 17, 1801 in Bradford, dau. of Elijah & Hannah Kimball. John and Hannah had five children; Augustine Kimball b. June 24, 1820, John b. Aug. 3, 1822, George b. Oct. 16, 1827, Mary Ann b. Nov. 28, 1830 and Sammie b. July 1835. Wife Hannah K. died on Aug. 14, 1835 at age 34 of Perpetual fever. Sammie died on Mar. 10, 1836 just 8 month old.
On April 16, 1836 John G. remarried to Mrs. Hannah (Young) Woodbury b. Jan. 7, 1795 in Pelham, NH dau. of Allen & Sarah (Morse) Young. Hannah was the widow of Ebenezer Woodbury and had children, John B. b. 1814, Mary Ann b. 1821, & Eben b. 1824. Mary Ann married Henry O. Burnham and was living with Augustine and family in the 1850 Census.
Augustine was born in Bradford, MA, became a Shoemaker, or Cordwainer, as was his father and brother George. Augustine K. married on June 5, 1845 to Abigail Woodbury b. 1820 in Pelham, NH. They had five children: Lizzie Abbey b. Mar. 22, 1849, Frank Augustine b. Apr. 4, 1851, John Gardner 2nd b. Dec. 9, 1857, Clara “Clarrie” W. b. 1862 and Mary Pingree b. July 16, 1868. The 1860 Census lists Augustine and family here and his father and step-mother also living with him. Augustine enlisted during the Civil War in July 1862 and mustered out on June 2, 1865. He served in Co. H. Mass Heavy Artillery. His brother George, also a shoemaker, served during the war. Wife Abigail died on Mar. 19, 1877 and interred at West Parish Cemetery. Father John G. Russell died on Sept. 15, 1881 age 84 and his widow Hannah on Oct. 27, 1885.
George Russell married twice first to Martha B. Trow Aug. 1, 1847 dau. of Daniel & Hannah (Luscomb) Trow. She died on Nov. 17, 1848 of childbirth. George’s second wife was Martha Barnard b. 1828 dau. of Osgood & Martha Barnard. George lived at 174 Lowell St with his in-laws. He died on July 14, 1869 age 42y 9m.
Augustine would later place the property in Trust in June 8, 1889 with George H. Poor Trustee, giving Elizabeth Gleason, widow of Benjamin a life estate in the home. Augustine moved to Ashland, MA where he died on July 3, 1904.
The 1906 Map of Andover lists Mrs. Gleason at this address. Elizabeth died on Dec. 8, 1915 in North Reading. The Trust then sold the property to Samuel Pike on Mar. 14, 1916. Samuel is listed as a bricklayer in the Andover Directories. Samuel was born in July 1854 in Sundridge, Kent England, son of Nathaniel & Amy Pike. His father was a bricklayer. Samuel married on July 6, 1878 at St. Lukes, Chelsea, Kensington to Sarah Francis b. Aug. 1854 dau. of Charles & Ethel Francis. Samuel & Sarah had five children, four survived; Edith A. b. Aug. 1880, Ernest T. b. Aug. 1874, George A. b. Oct. 1887 in England and Florence M. b. Aug. 1888 in MA. Sarah died on Dec. 22, 1918 and Sam died in Dec.11, 1923. The property went to the children and was quit claimed to daughter Florence M. Pike.
1852 Map A. Russell
1856 Map A. K. Russell
1888 Map. A. K. Russell
1906 Map Mrs. Gleason
1885 Directory; Augustine K. Russell, shoemaker, Lowell St. W.P. Mrs. Eliza Russell, Lowell St.
1860 Tax List Augustine K. Russell 3/4 a. land & bldgs. $745
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map #1496 Florence N. Johnson parcel A
June , 1990: Andover Preservation Awards; Award for historic landscape . West Parish National Register Historic District.
A. K. Russell in CHA genealogy on Russell & brother George , shoemaker.
George Russell – Feb. 21, 1850 – b. 425 leaf 62 - $60 1/3 acre
Augustine K. Russell – Feb. 21, 1850 – b. 425 leaf 63 - $60 1/3a
Augustine K. Russell – Nov. 12, 1850 – b. 436 leaf 172 – George’s lot
John G. Russell – Apr. 16, 1858 – b. 568 leaf 299 - $500 + 3 mtgs.
John G. Russell estate, heir Augustine K. Russell - May 14, 1883 - b. 71 p. 507-509 release
Geo. H. Poor, Trustee, Elizabeth H. Gleason - June 8, 1889 – b. 101 p. 46 – life estate
Elizabeth H. Gleason estate, Geo. H. Pike Tr. - Dec. 8, 1915 -
Samuel Pike – Mar. 14, 1916 – b. 362 p. 39
Samuel Pike estate, d. 1923 heirs – Jan. 25, 1924 – b. 495 p. 367
Florence M. Pike -
Florence N. (Pike) Johnson – Oct. 26, 1944 – b. 668 p. 337
John S. Duquid – Dec. 16, 1944 – b. 669 p. 539 – Parcel A
John S. & Florence Duguid - Oct. 18, 1946 - b. 692 p. 497
Florence M. Duguid - Nov. 22, 1963 b. 999 p. 356
Theresa M. & Roland P. Anderson Jr. - May 4, 1967 - b. 1081 p. 161
Gary R. Neil - May 28, 1982 - b. 1579 p. 175
William & Elaine A. Lyons II - July 12, 1985 b. 2003 p. 295
Lyons Family Irrevocable Trust - Apr. 13, 2010 b. 12004 p. 184
3/5/92 present owner Elaine Lyons will donate copies of the deeds to historical society
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Augustine K. & Abigail Russell House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||88-62|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||4-1990, 02/28/2006, 1/2014. 11/15/2018|