Federal style double house, two family, double end chimneys, create mirror image symmetry
This brick Federal style built in 1829 was originally a "Commons" or boarding house for the students of Phillips Academy. Funding for the building was started by Squire Farrar in 1809 by a fund to provide prizes in Latin, Greek and Religion to the students. The Trustees felt that rewards for learning were not necessary to stimulate the students quest for knowledge and allowed the fund to accumulate.
Principal Samuel Harvey Taylor moved into the dwelling in 1837 and continued to live here until his death on January 29, 1871. Samuel H. Taylor was born on Oct. 3, 1807 in Derry, NY, son of James & Persis (Hemphill) Taylor. Samuel graduated from Dartmouth College in 1832 and Andover Theological Seminary in 1837 and was then elected the sixth Principal of Phillips Academy. Samuel married Caroline Peris Parker b. Apr. 2, 1812 in Derry, NH. Samuel & Caroline had four sons; James E. b. 1837, George H. b. June 19, 1840, Charles Henry b. June 1846 - d. Nov. 6, 1857 and Arthur Fairbanks b. Dec. 10, 1853 - d. June 28, 1883. Mrs. Taylor remained in the south side of the house and died on May 12, 1878. Samuel & Caroline are interred in the Chapel Cemetery on the Academy grounds.
The north side became the residence of Principal Frederick W. Tilton 1871-1873. Cecil F. P. Bancroft occupied the north side from 1873-1892.
About 1889 the double house was known as "The Abbot House" or "The New Abbot House" In the Andover Townsman March 20, 1896, reports of a fire that gutted the ell and attached barn on the rear of the building.
Dr. Walter R. Newton, Latin Instructor lived here for many years followed by George W. Hinman from 1907-1940, also a Latin instructor.
Dr. James Grew a French Instructor followed Hinman in 1940.
With the merger in 1973 with Abbot Academy this was then used as student and faculty housing. The house was renovated in 1982.
Andover Building Survey 1974-
Andover Townsman - 1889
Andover Advertiser - 1889
Phillips Academy Andover Massachusetts, by Robert A. Domingue 1990
Trustees of Phillips Academy
|Place||Phillips District - Phillips Academy|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Double Brick house|
|Present Use||Resdence - dormitory|
|Original Use||Resdence - dormitory|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||56-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/15/2015|