Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were
This house was sold to Sally "Sadie" A. Koerner, wife of Arthur Koerner on June 30, 1934. Arthur & Sadie had been renting the house next door at #15 Argyle in 1930. Arthur was an overseer with the American Woolen Co. They owned just two years then sold the home back to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. on Aug. 31, 1936. Within the deeds of every home in Shawsheen was a restriction that allowed first refusal to buy the home back prior to Jan. 1, 1948, unless to a relative. In some cases such as this the company exercised its option.
The property was then sold to Richard M. & Mary F. Sullivan on Oct. 8, 1936. Richard was a rep. for the American Oil Co. The Sullivans took their mortgage through the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. They defaulted on the loan and the ASRCo. took possession on July 1, 1938.
Charles H. & M. Evelyn Kenny purchased the property on Nov. 8, 1938. Charles was employed with the Diamond Brewing Co. in Lawrence, MA. Makers of Holihan's Beer. The plant was located on Beacon St. near the corner of Andover St. The Hollihan's were also residents of Andover.
The Kenny family continues as owners of record in 2015. Now residents for 77 years, they can lay claim as the longest owner occupied residents on Argyle St. and perhaps this section of Shawsheen Village. Charles H. Kenny died on Feb. 9, 1949 and his estate went to his wife M. Evelyn Kenny. The property is currently held in the Kenny Nominee Trust, Charles A. Kenny, Trustee.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 43
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 15th parcel
Sally "Sadie" A. Koerner, wife of Arthur - June 30, 1934 - b. 579 p. 70
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Aug. 31, 1936 - b. 601 p. 13
Richard M. & Mary F. Sullivan - Oct. 8, 1936 - b. 602 p. 250
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - July 1, 1938 - b. 616 p. 377 - mtg. deed
Charles H. & M. Evelyn Kenny - Nov. 8, 1938 - b. 619 p. 25
Charles H. Kenny estate, M. Evelyn Kenny heir - Feb. 9, 1949
Charles A. Kenny - Sept. 25, 1984 - b. 1899 p. 247
Kenny Nominee Trust, Charles A. Kenny, Tr. - June 21, 2001 - b. 6208 p. 349
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Koerner - Kenny House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||Entrance columns changed, Vinyl siding & replacement windows original trellises removed|
|Map and parcel||36-54|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/9/2015|