Federal style home built 1818 - 1820. The main house was 38' x 18' with a long ell on the left side 30' x 14'. A smaller ell 16' wide & 12' deep extended off the rear right side
Themes: architectural, community development, education.
Site Historical information.
Jacob Shed purchased the property from Mark Newman in 1818. The house faced Main Street on the new Essex Turnpike which was constructed in 1806.
John Brown, a house-wright held a contract with Jacob Shed to build the house beginning on April 1, and to be completed by Oct. 1, 1824. The contract was filed at the registry deeds in Salem on Oct. 9, 1824 – b. 236 leaf 105. Brown built seven houses in Andover, his first the Amos Blanchard House, now home of the Andover Center of History & Culture.
The Town House was built on the adjoining lot to the north in 1856 after Andover & North Andover were divided into separate towns in 1855.
Jacob Shed was born on April 5, 1779 in Tewksbury, son of Jacob & Mary "Molly" (Goodhue) Shed. Jacob was a Yeoman and laborer. Jacob first married Susanna Spaulding on Sept. 11, 1802 in Westford, MA. They had one son Charles b. June 6, 1807 in Andover. Susanna died on March 26, 1820. Jacob remarried on Oct. 15, 1820 to Hannah L. Nowell, b. July 9, 1789 in Salem, MA dau. of Joseph & Dolly Nowell. Jacob died on Aug. 9, 1850 age 71 of Dropsy. In Jacob's will he gives his wife Hannah all his personal estate and his son Charles 2/3 of all the real estate after his widow Hannah Shed dies. If Charles died before his step-mother, Hannah L. Brown would receive his 2/3 of the estate. Hannah L. Brown was bequeathed 1/3 in Jacob's will.
Hannah L. Brown married Thomas E. Mayberry, born on June 23, 1817 in Otisbridge, Maine, son of Joseph & Hannah Mayberry. Thomas was first married Mary Jane Hilton of Bridgeton, ME in 1841. Thomas, a house carpenter, and Mary had one daughter Mary Adelaide Mayberry b. Dec. 3, 1842 in Bridgeton. His wife Mary died in 1845. Thomas came to Andover with his young daughter. He re-married on August 23, 1848, to Hannah L. Brown daughter of Walter & Annis Brown. Thomas was 31 years of age and Hannah 22. They first lived in the Shed house at 36 Main St. with Jacob & Hannah in the 1850 & 1855 census. Thomas & Hannah would have two daughters; Helen C. and Ann Marie Mayberry.
Widow Hannah Shed out lived both Hannah L. (Brown) Mayberry who died Mar. 21, 1863 and step son Charles who died on Jan. 1, 1869 in Methuen. Hannah Shed's Trust divides the property between Helen C. Rea, wife of Charles P. Rea and Anna M. Mayberry, wife of Charles P. Mayberry. Both Helen & Anna were the daughters of Hannah L. Shed (Mayberry) Brown. In 1870 census Hannah Shed is living with Mayberry and in 1880 she boards with Charles Shea.
On Sept. 9, 1854 Andover Advertiser (AA) - Thomas E. Mayberry advertises his Coal & Teaming business. He becomes a partner with John Cornell.
April 12, 1867 AA – T. E. Mayberry & John Cornell dissolve partnership under the name of T. E. Mayberry & Co. It appears that Thomas returned to his house carpentry Sept. 3. 1869. AA - Charles W. Higgins is erecting a splendid residence on the lot recently purchased on Central St. (#66) Thomas E. Mayberry is putting in the cellar and George L. Abbott is the contractor for the building.
Thomas E. Mayberry purchased a lot of land from Nathaniel Whittler on Summer St. on Aug. 16, 1869 and builds a new home there. Thomas married a third time to widow Adelaide I. (Otis) Strong b. Dec. 23, 1810 in NY, also her third marriage.
Hannah Shed died at age 92 on Sept. 8, 1881. Her Trust estate then sells the home to Jacob Barnard on May 16, 1882 for $4100 which included about 31,340 square feet of land. The Shed house was moved and turned to face north on Barnard St. facing the new Fire house built in 1882-3 behind the Town House. #17 & #19 Barnard Street became a two family home and later had four apartments. It was used as real estate offices until a fire gutted the building on June 30, 2003. It was razed in Dec. 9 -12, 2003.
Andover Townsman: 50 years ago - August 1927 - "Barnard Street, once a mere alley, has almost the appearance of a boulevard as a sidewalk has been built next to the town hall and the street construction well underway. It is the plan of the police department to have diagonal parking on the street to allow cars to be parked."
See 34 Main St. for history of Barnard's brick block.
Sept. 11, 1891 – AT Advert. - Mrs. F. E. Leonard – Dressmaking, Fancy work, Residence, First house on Barnard’s Court.
Shed Hose Residence after move.
17 - 19 Barnard St. Shed House - Resident rental apartments to the 1970s.
1891 - Miss M. J. Howard - dressmaker, Milliner
1930--- Residence, Abbot Bros. Shoe Manufacturer
17 - Mary E. Sanborn - domestic
17 - William J. & Florence M. Trainor, store mgr.
19 - Samuel B. Forsythe, Jr. p machinist
19 - Colonial Furniture Shop - Roland L. Luce, prop
Colonial Furniture Shop (1955)
17 - Andover Clock Shop (open May 1972 )
Insurance & Realty Co. 1980's - 2007
17 - Chiropractor's office - 1989
19 - John Cronin Law Office
19 - Andover Livery Co. - 1992
19 - Andover Cab Company - 1998
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Directories: 1953, 1943, 1932, 1926
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852
Andover Advertiser - pg. 2, col. 8
Interview with present owner, July, 1977
Town of Andover, Mass.: Real estate valuation, 1990
J. W. Barnard owner, Listed as " Shed House "
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852.
Main St. (and Beyond) Evolution - Gail Ralston - 2014
Jacob Shed - Nov. 11, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 228 -Salem Deeds
Jacob Shed Estate - d. Aug. 9, 1850 - Probate Sept. 3, 1850 - Shed heirs
Wid. Hannah (Nowell) Shed - Life estate. 1/3 Hannah L. Brown, 2/3 Charles Shed.
Mayberry Trust b. 67 p. 352
Helen C. Rea & Anna M. Mayberry heirs – (married daughters of Hannah L. [Mayberry] Brown)
Jacob W. Barnard - May 16, 1882 - b. 68 p. 13 Shed lot
Henry W. Barnard et alii - May 22, 1937 - b. 608 p. 406
Lally Real Estate Trust - b. 1164 p. 563
Patricia Barnard Lally - Dec. 30, 1971 - b. 1186 p. 621
Richard W. & Patricia Lally - Oct. 2, 1981 - b. 1536 p. 346
Lally II Real Estate Trust - April 23, 2001 - b. 6104 p. 348
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Jacob Shed House|
|Present Use||Lally II Realty block|
|Original Use||Shed Residence|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||aluminum siding & clap boards|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||remodeled twice, once in 1880's and again in 1890's renovated to apartments in 1971/72|
|Condition||razed 2007 - fire gutted|
|Demolition Details||Shed house and seafood store razed 2007 after fire.|
|Map and parcel||39-28|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/26/2017|