Mid 20th century Garrison Colonial
Present owner: Byrne #10 new
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1795-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development in this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.
Alby Arsenault, wife Judith purchased two lots off B.F. Holt on May 31, 1916 equaling two acres. The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule lists: Alby Arsenault - Foster's Pond Road, House and barn, $700, Garage $100, 1/2 acre $100, 2 acres $150 acres = $1050 assessment. The property was held by Arsenault for 29 years who then sold 1 and 2/3 acres to William G. & Irene Christy on May 5, 1945.
Christy sold to Albert S. & Grace Lord on July 28, 1953. The Lords acquired the second lot in August 1953. Lord then sells this lot to Bert & Rose A. Peters on Aug. 26, 1953. Peters owned two years then sold to Malcolm P. & M. Annabelle Bickman on Sept. 20, 1955.
Wallace & Marie Violette LaMontagne bought the property on Oct. 21, 1958 and owned for 26 years. Wallace b. 1926 was a landscape gardener. Marie b. 1932 was a clerk. After the death of his wife Marie, Wallace LaMontagne then sold to William K. & Barbara A, MacGowan on Feb. 1, 1984.
Francis P. & Susan M. Byrne purchased the property on Sept. 13, 1991 and continue as owners of record in 2018.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Alby Arsenault, wife Judith - May 31, 1916 - b. 365 p. 21 - two parcels = 2 acres
William G. & Irene Christy - May 5, 1945 - b. 673 p. 110 - two parcels = 1 2/3 acres
Albert S. & Grace Lord - Aug. 26, 1953 - b. 780 p. 102 - lot 2
Bert & Rose A. Peters - Aug. 26, 1953 - b. 780 p. 103
Malcolm P. & M. Annabelle Bickman - Sept. 20, 1955 - b. 820 p. 377
Wallace & Violette LaMontagne - Oct. 21, 1958 - b. 884 p. 157
Violette LaMontagne estate, Wallace LaMontagne -
William K. & Barbara A, MacGowan - Feb. 1, 1984 - b. 1781 p. 149
Francis P. & Susan M. Byrne - Sept. 13, 1991 - b. 3316 p. 197
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||83-67|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1/30/2006, 5/15/2018|