17 Dundee Park

Architectural Description: 

Symmetrical and Complex facade, front entrance in tower, regular identical double 9/9 windows. Stairway tower once capped with a steep hip slate roof and bell.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes - Architectural, Industry and Development of Town.

As early as 1682 this area of Andover was being offered by the Town Proprietors as a “Mill privilege on the Shawshin, near Roger’s brook” to any inhabitant willing to build a saw mill. In 1753 one half of a saw mill was sold by Humphrey Holt to Asa Abbot and then in 1764 to Nathan Abbot.

Abbott Village was established early in the 1800's with the more than adequate source of water to power the mills. Abel & Paschal Abbott moved their wool mill operation here from the North Parish about 1815. Abiel Russell was their first foreman and Daniel Saunders leased a portion from 1817-1825. James Howarth established a wool mill 1824-1847, building the stone mill on the east side of the river. The Abbot brothers had a successful business until about 1838 when the market took a down turn. Creditors sold the Abbot Mill buildings to Smith & Dove Co. in 1843.

Smith & Dove Co. produced linen thread and was established in Frye Village (Shawsheen Village) in 1835. The company founders John Smith, Peter Smith and John Dove were all Scottish immigrants from Brechin in County Angus. The company continued operations in both Frye and Abbott Villages gradually relocating all production up river to this location. In 1865 they became the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. producing linen thread for shoe laces, carpets and sail cloth. Later operations included some broad cloth. Smith & Dove claimed to be the first linen production manufacturer in the United States.

This Main Mill Building replaced the original monitor roofed structure that stood on the the site. It is not yet known if the original mill building was razed or incorporated into the new mill structure, as other buildings in the complex were altered and enlarged.

This Main Mill #1 building in 1896 Sanborn Map of the plant lists the following functions of each floor; 1st floor, a Pipe shop, Repair shop and Preparing room, 2nd floor Spooling, Packing, Spinning, Twisting and Reeling and the 3rd floor; Flax Preparing, Flax Spinning, Reeling & Twisting. The smaller attached building in front is listed as a Batch House.

The Smiths and Dove families were active in community affairs, contributors to educational institutions and helped establish Memorial Hall Library. They were all abolitionists, with John Smith and John Dove charter members of the Free Christian Church, which John Smith established. It would be the second generation of the Smith & Dove families that expanded the Abbott Village mill buildings to meet the needs of the 20th century. Worker housing, a village hall, recreational facilities and a pension fund were all established to help their operatives.

In 1927 the Smith & Dove Co. was sold to the Trustees of the Ludlow Manufacturing Associates of Ludlow, MA. The housing real estate was placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. that year, changing the name to Andover Homes, Inc. that then sold off the housing stock to private hands. The company operations were moved to Ludlow, MA and the mill closed in 1928.

The Indian Ridge Co.,Inc. acquired the mill properties and some of the housing stock. Through the company treasurer Virgil D. Harrington the mill buildings were then parceled off sold to private investors.

The Old Mill #1 and the Preparing Building #17 was sold to Hattie V. Stephenson on May 9, 1936. In 1936 the mill was used as storage of New and old textile machinery. The front "Batch House" was rented to the Colonial Spinning Mill. Stephenson leased out floors to a variety of companies. In May 1937 Hattie purchased the old Engine & Boiler plant at the NE end of the building. It powered the mill complex when the Smith & Dove CO. was in operation. In May 1950 Stephenson sells the property to Jack G. Berman who is partners with Benjamin Berman and Robert G. Goldman. With the death of Jack Berman new partners took ownership in June 1957, Robert G. Goldman, Erwin R. Kaufman and Ziegfried Kellerman.

On Jan. 6, 1966 Ziegfried Kellerman becomes the new owner and places the property holdings into the Alna Realty Trust. The Trust held the property until Aug. 1, 1973 selling the H.E.W. Realty Trust, Frank W. Kenrick, Albert E. Levoy and William H. Hall trustees. The Trustees sold to Andover Storage Associates LLC on March 11, 1999.

Former tenants; Admiral Folding Box, Inc. leased in May 4,1954 for five years.

Bibliography/References: 

See Form A for Abbot Village

17 Dundee Park – Largest Main Mill Building - 55-15 – 1.28 acre blt. 1894 –
Mar. 11, 1999 – b. 5365 p. 190
See map plans - #1070 Nov. 8, 1937 and #8054 Dec. 1978

Owners;
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. 1843 – 1927
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. – Feb. 21, 1927 – b. 529 p. 583
Ludow Manufacturing Associates, Robert Amory, Tr. – June 15, 1928 – b. 542 p. 376
Indian Ridge Co. Inc. – Virgil D. Harrington, Treas. – Nov. 14, 1932 – b. 567 p. 267 – Parcel #1 -Old #6
Hattie V. Stephenson – May 9, 1936 – b. 598 p. 215 – deed 1 – Old Main Mill #1 & Preparing Bld. #17
Hattie V. Stephenson – May 22, 1937 – b. 611 p. 24 – deed 2 – Old Engine & Boiler plant
Jack G. Berman – May 17, 1950 – b. 736 p. 32 - Old Main Mill, Preparing Bld. #17 and Engine & Boiler
Jack G. Berman, Benj. Berman, Robert G. Goldman – Dec. 1, 1950 – b. 745 p. 364
Robert G. Goldman, Erwin R. Kaufman, Siegfried Kellerman – June 18, 1957 – b. 856 p. 254
Siegfried Kellerman – Jan. 6, 1966 - b. 1052 p. 195
Alna Realty Trust, Siegfried Kellerman, Trustee – Jan. 11, 1966 – b. 1053 p. 395
HEW Realty Trust, Frank Kenrick, Albert Levoy, W. H. Hall, Trustees, - Aug. 1, 1973 – b. 1224 p. 238
Andover Storage Associates, LLC – Mar. 11, 1999 – b. 5365 p. 190 – (Old Main Bld. #1 and Preparing Bld. #17)

Additional property;
C.R.G. Inc, Paul W. Crowin & Augustine Sheehy – May 4, 1972 – b. 1192 p. 367
Dundee Trust, Augustine Sheehy, Peter J. Brennan and Arlington Trust Co., trustees – Sept. 21, 1973 p. 1228 p. 440 and p. 494
H.E.W. Realty Trust – William H. Hall, Albert E. Levoy, trus. – Nov. 23, 1973 – b. 1232 p. 47
William H. Hall, Albert E. Levoy, Frank W. Kenrick, trustees – Feb. 26, 1983 – b. 1713 p. 343
Andover Storage Associates, LLC – Mar. 11, 1999 – b. 5365 p. 190 – (Old Main Bld. #1 and Preparing Bld. #17)

Inventory Data:

StreetDundee Park
PlaceAbbott Village - Dundee Park
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Historic NameSmith & Dove Manf. Co. Main Mill Building
Present Usemanufacturing
Original Useflax mill
Construction Date1894 - 1895
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone right into river
Wall/Trimbrick/granite lintels
Roofasphalt/gravel- flat
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresMany and complex outbuildings, this is building #1
Major Alterations1894
Conditiongood
Acreage1.28 acres
SettingIndustrial/commercial
Map and parcel55-15
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission
Date entered11/9/67, 1975-1976, Dec. 2014

Images: 

Map: