Colonial Revival - Shingle cottage
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1922 were John N. & Jennie Phillips. John was a Millwright. A son James is a clerk and daughter Ellen, a Mill worker. AT - Sept. 22, 1922 p. 8 The Shawsheen Villager - Mr. and Mrs. John Phillips of Lawrence have moved to 17 Enmore street.
This house was sold to Eleanor Martini on Mar. 22, 1941. Martini owned just one year then sold to Russell F. & Clare Sheeley on July 11, 1942. Russell was a photographer in Lawrence. Sheeleys owned for 12 years then selling to Theodore C. & Elizabeth A. Boudreau on Sept. 30, 1954. Ted Boudreau was an Andover native and a beloved science teacher at Andover Jr. High, East Jr. High and Doherty Jr. High. Ted also was a semi-pro baseball player and coach. The baseball field on the Playstead is named in his honor.
James A. & Marjorie A. Flynn purchased on June 19, 1969 and the Flynn family continue as owners of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #17
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#6898 - Mar. 26, 1973 -
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 (p. 90) - 8th parcel
Eleanor Martini - Mar. 22, 1941 - b. 638 p. 559
Russell F. & Clare Sheeley - July 11, 1942 - b. 675 p. 347
Theodore C. & Elizabeth A. Boudreau - Sept. 30, 1954 - b. 800 p. 29
Joseph E. & Geraldine Faro - Feb. 4, 1960 - b. 910 p. 77
John A. Reece - Aug. 11, 1965 - b. 1040 p. 460
James A. & Marjorie A. Flynn June 19, 1969 - b. 1133 p. 218
Charlotte A. Flynn Revocable Trust - Feb. 24, 2011 - b. 12415 p. 325
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Dec. 31, 1962 - b. 976 p. 462 parcel C - 1.33 a
F.M. & T.E. Andrew Realty Trust, T Edwin Andrew, Tr. - Dec. 3, 1962 - b. 976 p. 480 parcel C
Winfred S. Gerrish - May 17, 1972 - b. 1193 p. 149 - triangle lot
James A & Charlotte Flynn - June 11, 1973 - b. 1225 p. 163
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||enclosed screen porch, replacement windows, asphalt roof from slate, front porch roof railing was originally wood.|
|Map and parcel||19-58|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/7/2015|