17 Railroad Street

Architectural Description: 

Simple rectangular building, gable roof, originally three bay garage, clapboard siding.

Historical Narrative: 

The property was once owned by the Boston & Maine Railroad in 1847 when the rail line was moved to this location to provide service to the new City of Lawrence, MA. In 1850 the freight building at #15 was built by the B&M RR for the unloading and weighing goods undercover. A spur line track went through the building and out the north end of the building reconnecting to the main lines. #17 Railroad St lot would have been part of the spur line tack parcel.

In January 1957 George B. Westhaver Trust purchased parcels of land from Boston & Maine Railroad on Railroad St. This parcel was the second lot included in the deed purchase of #2 Railroad St. It contained 3036 square feet of land.

In the Andover Townsman on December 17, 1959 there is a full page advertisement announcing the "Grand Opening of Arnold's Sales and Service Station". Mason F. Arnold is the owner and proprietor. He is giving a free 5 pound bag of selected Maine potatoes to all our patrons - all day Saturday. The station is an Esso Gasoline dealer and also giving out S & H Green Stamps. Mason Arnold operated this station for about two years before moving into sales at Woodworth Motors in Shawsheen.
Andover Directory states a Larenwood Motors, Inc., agency here in 1962

The garage and property was then sold to Edwin R. Walkup on October 20, 1966. Eddie Walkup ran a very successful service station and auto repair business. Ed was born Sept. 6, 1932 in West Springfield, MA. son of Paul and Helen (Roy) Walkup. Ed was a Veteran of the Korean War. Ed died on April 22, 1989. Ed's wife Amy R. Walkup inherited the estate. She held the property another 11 years then sold to Railroad Street LLC, Linda Diorio in July 12, 2000.

Elm Street Auto on Lupine Rd (2000) may have used the site as an annex to their business.

The service station was then transformed into a restaurant "Teatone" specializing in Asian cuisine with takeout service.

The property was sold to Vizo Realty LLC in November 2004.

Main Street Evolution - Gail Rawston 2014
Teatone, 17 Railroad Avenue (2002)
Elm Street Auto (2000)
Walkup’s Garage, 17 Railroad Ave. (80s and 90s)
Larenwood Motors, Inc., agency (1962)
Mason F. Arnold’s Sales & Service (1960/61)


Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman - 1959

Boston & Maine Railroad Corp. 1847-1957
George B. Westhaver Trust - Jan 11, 1957 - b. 1005 p. 189
George B. Westhaver Trust - Oct. 17, 1961 - b. 946 p. 213 - parcel #2
Edwin R. & Amy Walkup - Oct. 20, 1966 - b. 1070 p. 392
Edwin R. Walkup estate, Amy R. Walkup heir - Apr. 1989 - b. 3971 p. 346
Railroad Street LLC - July 12, 2000 - b. 5803 p. 257
Vizo Realty LLC - Nov. 30, 2004 - b. 9216 p. 190

Inventory Data:

StreetRailroad St
PlaceAbbott Village
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Historic NameWalkup Garage building
Present Userestaurant
Original Useservice station garage
Construction Date1959
Architectural StyleOther
Architect/BuilderGeorge B. Westhaver
Wall/Trimclapboards/vinyl covered
Major AlterationsConversion to restaurant 2000-2004
Acreage0.155 acre
Map and parcel38-1B
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredDec. 22, 2014