17 Tewksbury Street

Architectural Description: 

Style: late Federal
Other features: trim is very plain - form is Federal; semi-modern kitchen

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: Architectural, Community development

John Mann owned the land in 1845 and sold a one half acre lot to Eaton Green, Yeoman, husband of Sally Green on May 12, 1845. The house was then built by Greene and then mortgaged through Trustees of Phillips Academy on Aug. 22, 1845. The loan was for $600. The parcel of land included "with buildings." Often mortgages were taken through the Trustees of Phillips Academy. (Greene with an "e" is the death record and grave marker spelling)

Eaton Greene was born 1797 in New Hampshire. He married Sarah "Sally" Nichols b. 1812, of Haverhill on Oct. 1, 1829. Eaton & Sally had four children: Abba b. 1833, William b. 1835, Laura A. b. 1837 and Charles b. 1840. The 1850 Valuation Schedule for Eaton Green lists dwelling house $1000, barn $100, 1/2 New House $800, house lot $50, and personal estate $20. The census lists him as a carpenter. Eaton later defaulted on his loan and the Trustees of P.A. were forced to foreclose on the property on November 1, 1854. The 1860 census lists Eaton in Ballardvale, a farm laborer. A few houses away is Issac O. Blunt and wife Anne Eliza. with two children Anne Maria and Frederick. It is not clear if he remained in the house and rented or moved to a different home nearby.

The deeds have Jessie G. Sargent owner of the property on Jan. 1, 1856. Eaton Greene died on Aug. 8, 1865 of heart disease and Sarah N. Greene died on Nov. 11, 1869. Both are interred at South Church cemetery with Marland and Russells.

Jessie G. Sargent, of North Andover, owned for six years. The 1860 Valuation schedule lists dwelling house $550. Sargent then selling to Isaac O. Blunt on Oct. 16, 1862. Isaac Octavius Blunt was born March 21, 1826 in Andover, son of Samuel Phelps & Persis F. (Bodwell) Blunt. Isaac married on July 8, 1852 age 25, at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Ballardvale to Ann Eliza Densmore age 22, b. Boston, daughter of Stephen & Sarah Densmore. Two years later mother-in-law, Sarah Demsmore (aka Dinsmore) purchased the home on Jan. 12, 1864. Sarah then sells to her daughter Ann Elizabeth Blunt on Sept, 17, 1865. The deed transfer may have been due to Isaac O. enlisting in the Army for service during the Civil War. He attained the rank of Captain. Isaac was the Post and Station Master at Ballardvale. In the 1865 State census and 1870 Federal census Isaac, Anne, their two children and mother Sarah Densmore continue to share the home. Blunt owned the property for 16 years then selling to Hannah Daly, wife of Patrick Daly, on Nov. 16, 1881. Isaac Blunt had transferred to Lowell, MA as the Freight Agent. He died on Sept. 27, 1890 in Lowell and is interred at South Church Cemetery.

Hannah Daly paid $1000. for the home. Daly owned the home for 39 years. It appears the house was divided into a two family house in the 1900's.

Thomas F. & Delia Daily purchased the property on May 14, 1920. Thomas died on Oct. 27, 1939. Delia remained in her home until her death in 1953. Nellie T. Sherry was the Administrator of Delia Daily's estate selling the home of Cornelius D. Shea, wife Elizabeth H. on Nov. 9, 1953. Shea had the property seven years then sold to George J. & Barbara Pillsbury on July 7, 1960. George b. 1928 was a Tech writer and Barbara b. 1932 a payroll clerk. Pillsbury came to Andover form Montpelier, VT.

George died and Barbara then sold to M. Earl Pitts on June 12, 1980. This was an investment property for Pitts as he was living on Central Street. The Federal Home Loan Co. foreclosed in Nov. 1993 and the property was later sold to Christian C. & Diane C. (Pawelski) Huntress on March 30, 1995, the current owners of record in 2015. The Huntress family have restored the property during their stewardship. They received a Preservation Award for their efforts. They have raised four children in the home: Abigail, Samuel, Caroline and Franklin Huntress.

The Sarah Blunt deed mentions excluding a portion of the lot of 1200 sq. feet sold to Stark adjoining her property on Dec. 12, 1869. b. 729 leaf 123 Salem deed.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman
Poore, Dr. Alfred; " Historical - Genealogical Visitation of Andover in the Year 1865" - Essex Institute Historical Collection. Vol. 48 - 52
(for Ballardvale Development)

John Mann - 1845 - 1/2 acre of land
Eaton & Sally Greene - May 12, 1845 - b. 356 leaf 171 - land
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Aug. 22, 1845 - b. 357 leaf 242 with buildings mortgage
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Nov. 1, 1854 - b. 502 leaf 108 foreclosure
Jessie G. Sargent - Jan. 1, 1856 - b.531 leaf 233
Isaac O. Blunt - Oct. 16, 1862 - b. 649 leaf 78
Sarah (Demsmore) Dinsmore - Jan. 12, 1864 - b. 661 leaf 220
Ann Elizabeth Blunt - Sept. 17, 1865 - b. 66 leaf 214 Salem deed
Hannah Daly, wife of Partrick Daly - Nov. 16, 1881 - b. 66 p. 214 Lawrence deed
Thomas F. & Delia Dailey - May 14, 1920 - b. 422 p. 148
Thomas F. Dailey estate, Delia Dailey heir - Oct. 27, 1939
Delia Dailey estate, Nellie T Sherry Admix. - July 22, 1953 - Probate
Cornelius D. Shea, wife Elizabeth H. - Nov. 9, 1953 - b. 783 p. 366
George J. & Barbara M. Pillsbury - July 7, 1960 - b. 918 p. 211
George J. Pillsbury estate, Barbara M. Pillsbury heir - July 7, 1960
M. Earl Pitts - June 12, 1980 - b. 1438 p. 196
Federal Home Loan - Nov. 2, 1993 - b. 3919 p. 288 - foreclosure mtg. deed
Christian C. & Diane C. (Pawelski) Huntress - Mar. 30, 1995 - b. 4332 p. 61

Inventory Data:

StreetTewksbury St
Historic DistrictBallardvale Local Historic District
Historic DistrictBallardvale National Register District
Historic NameEaton & Sally Green House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1845
SourceERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationbrick and stone
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuressmall garage
Acreage0.241 one acre; lot size: 10,190 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 110'
Map and parcel157-35
MHC NumberANV.568
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 9/13/2015