Colonial Revival - Bungalow style - The architect noted on the 1922 map of Shawsheen Village is Roger or Rogers. Only a handful of homes in the Village bear his name and no further information on his is currently available.
William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house however, was sold directly to Mary Johnson, by the American Woolen Co., William M. Wood, President on Nov. 26, 1923
It was not uncommon to place the deed in the wife's name as a protection against creditors taking the property. Ernest A. Johnson was an assistant agent for the American Woolen Co. in Lawrence in 1923. The Johnsons were the first occupants of the home for 30 years. The property was place in both names on Aug. 10, 1937.
Lewis W. & Norma Stearns purchased the home on June 29, 1953 and held for three years then selling to Howard & Alvina B. Thompson on May 26, 1956. Thompson held just one year then sold to Arthur & Gertrude G. Kramer on Sept.3, 1957.
Arthur Kramer b. 1910 was an engineer and wife Gertrude b. 1910 a home maker. They owned for nine years selling to Robert T. & Patricia A. King on Aug. 10, 1966. Bob King was the much loved and respected science teacher at Andover High School. The King family owned the home for 35 years before moving to Argilla Rd. and selling to Evan N. & Patricia A. Vogel on Aug. 16, 2001.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Mary Johnson - Nov. 26, 1923 - b. 497 p. 471
Pearl Playdon - Aug. 10, 1937 - b. 609 p. 381
Ernest A. & Mary L. Johnson - Aug. 10, 1937 - b. 609 p. 381
Lewis W. & Norma Stearns - June 29, 1953 - b. 777 p. 322
Howard & Alvina B. Thompson - May 26, 1956 - b. 835 p. 323
Arthur & Gertrude G. Kramer - Sept.3, 1957 - b. 860 p. 412
Robert T. & Patricia A. King - Aug. 10, 1966 - b. 87
P. P. Realty Trust, Robert T. & Patricia A. King, Trs. - May 10, 1966 - b. 5700 p. 23
Evan N. & Patricia A. Vogel - Aug. 16, 2001 - b. 6320 p. 335
Donald L. & Nancy J. Crinity - May 22, 2007 - b. 10760 p. 172
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Ernest & Mary Johnson House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-121|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/24/2015|