This home would be listed as a Colonial Revival home built from about 1905 - 1915 and is known as the "American Four-Square" The boxy form with hip roof above wide eaves and including one eye brow dormer here, is derived from early prairie house designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Four Square has been adapted to many different forms from Classical style to minimal design elements. "Variation on a theme", to suit the new owners taste and budget. The tile roof is unusual but a very durable choice.
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.
All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This parcel "lot #8 was purchased by Frank A. Buttrick on Oct. 21, 1908. Frank had also purchased the lot #7 next door and built his home there now 15 Wolcott Ave. about 1912. The 1913 street directory lists Frank Butrrick as a contractor for E. W. Pitman Co. in Lawrence. The Pitman company built many of the mills in that city. In 1916 Frank is the president of the company. We do not know if he built this home but on July 12, 1916 he sold the property to Edith C. O’Connell, wife of John F. O,Connell. The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule lists Mrs. Edith C. O'Connell - 17 Wolcott Ave, House $3000, Garage $150, 8470 sq, ft. land $800 = $3950.
John F. O'Connell was born in 1883 in MA, son of Irish parents. He worked as a Publicity Director of Machinery. He married Edith C. born 1886 in MA. Her father was from Michigan and her mother Canadian. John & Edith had a daughter Clare b. 1914. O'Connell owned for 25 years then selling to Bertrand G. & Helen W. Peck on Dec. 23, 1941.
17 Wolcott – 38-197 - Lot 8 - 0.206 acre – 8470 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 3
Frank A. Buttrick – Oct. 21, 1908 – b. 266 p. 595
Frank A. Buttrick - Mar. 6, 1913 – b. 327 p. 113
Edith C. O’Connell, wife of John F. – July 12, 1916 – b. 366 p. 549 lot
Bertrand G. & Helen W. Peck – Dec. 23, 1941 – b. 648 p. 189
Lester E. & Frances S. W. Lynde – Aug. 8, 1949 – b. 725 p. 442
Lester E. Lynde estate, Hilde Wylie, Consvr. -
Regan L. & Restie J. DuBose – Aug. 25, 1966 – b. 1067 p. 74
Richard E. & Donna Pollio – Aug. 23, 1974 – b. 1247 p. 595
Bruce M. & Leslie A. Male – June 28, 1979 – b. 1285 p. 428
Richard & Susanne L. Soo Hoo – Jan. 30, 1986 – b. 2125 p. 64
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Edith C. & John F. O'Connell House|
|Construction Date||1916 - 1917|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Acreage||0.206 acre – 8470 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-197|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 4/22/2013|