This two family house was built about 1850, 2 floors plus attic is a gable with Asphalt roof. Vinyl exterior; 8 rooms, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 chimneys, 1 garage, open porch across front. Very close to sidewalk on 0.114 acres of land. Interesting porch features. Recently (pre-1998) renovated.
This property was once owned by the Whipple File & Steel Co. in June 1860. The Whipple File Company went bankrupt in 1867 and Edward Page, John W. Beals, and Thomas J. Homer of Boston and Thornton K. Lothrup of Milton, MA were the assignees of the company holdings. They would sell off the holdings at public auction on April 2, 1867. Stephen Blaney of Peabody, MA purchased six parcels of land along Andover Street and one on River St. for $9350. This parcel appears to be parcel five in the deed.
Blaney would later sell this property with tenement building to Martha E. Dearborn, wife of John S. Dearborn on March 21, 1887 for $1400. The property remained in the Dearborn family until Martha's death on July 5, 1930. Martha's estate went to her children, Florence M. Kirkman, Martha E. Tolinson and John E. Dearborn. John S. Dearborn was a carpenter.
The Dearborn heirs sold to Leonard Saunders & wife Eliza Jane. With the death of Eliza Jane Saunders her estate went to her two daughters Ruth E.& Helen D. Saunders. They would then quit claim their share to their father Leonard Saunders on May 29, 1933. Leonard Saunders died on in 1947 and his estate was probated by Ruth E. Saunders who then sold the property to Arthur M. and Mary White on Nov. 4, 1947. The White family owned for 47 years. Leonard died on July 2, 1977. Mary White held the property until 1994 selling to Dennis J. & Bernice Bligh on Sept. 29, 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry, Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Town of Andover Directories
Whipple File & Steel Manuf. Co.
Edward Page, Beals, Homer & Lothrop Assignees - 1870
Stephen Blaney - Apr. 27, 1870 - b. 6 p. 236 - six parcels - 5th parcel
Martha E. Dearborn, wife of John S. - Mar. 21, 1887 - b. 90 p. 37
Martha E. Dearborn estate, July 5, 1930 - probate to heirs
Heirs; Florence M. Kirkman, Martha E. Tomlinson, John E.Dearborn - 1930
Leonard Saunders - b. 562 pgs. 231-232
Eliza Jane Saunders - b. 562 p. 233
Eliza Jane Saunders estate; heirs Ruth E. Saunders & Helen D. Saunders -
Leonard Saunders - May 29, 1933 - b. 570 p. 432
Leonard Saunders estate, Ruth E> Saunders - Nov. 3, 1947 - Probate
Arthur M. & Mary White - Nov. 4, 1947 - b. 704 p. 494
Arthur M. White estate, heir Mary White - July 2, 1977 - Probate
Dennis J. & Bernice Bligh - Sept. 29, 1994 - b. 4115 p. 175
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Present Use||2 family residence|
|Original Use||2 family residence|
|Construction Date||about 1850|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage / barn|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows, vinyl siding, picture window on second floor north facade,|
|Setting||Very close to sidewalk|
|Map and parcel||138-3|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District), James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb 1998, 11/9/2016|