The Ballardvale Green is located in the Village center and is a public park and the site of memorials to Veterans from Ballardvale who served in all wars. The Green is a relatively new park to the village and contains two parcels of land. The first parcel on the south end of the park was the location of the Ballard Vale District Schoolhouse from 1848 to 1889. A new school was built in 1889 at 149 Andover St. later named Bradlee School in 1897.
The former schoolhouse was unique as it had two store fronts in the basement level, which brought in income money for the district. The building then served as a community center with a large hall on the top floor, the main floor was a polling place for the village and a branch of the Memorial Hall Library from May 6, 1913 to 1981. A flag pole on the site was erected in memory of Martha D. Byington the first Ballard Vale Librarian from May 6, 1913 - 1943. Ruth Sharpe was the last Ballardvale librarian. The Town condemned the building and it was razed in 1981. The library branch moved in the corner building at 195 Andover St.
The last store in the basement, "The Beverage Barn" owned by Robert Wilton relocated to the old warehouse building on Dale St.
The site was filled in, regraded, expanding the "Green" nearly one third larger in size. The north end of the park was an empty lot with a rather steep grade upward toward the Community Center building. More like an open field with a hard packed, well worn, dirt pathway, created by the kids as a shortcut, up to the the front entrance to the building from Center St. The lot was privately owned by Harry C. & May P. Nason and sold to the Town of Andover on July 10, 1957.
The Ballard Vale Green was created in the 1970s and has been a work in progress ever since. Now regraded and enclosed by granite posts linked together with chains, the park has granite benches, planted trees and memorial plaques honoring "The Sons and Daughters of Ballardvale of All the Wars". The park has become a gathering place in the village community at Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Fourth of July and a Holiday Christmas tree lighting and winter celebration.
The Ballard Vale Green and former Town Manager Richard Bowen, of Ballardvale, were recognized with a Preservation Award in 2003 for the transformation of the "Green" and Bowen's tireless work in improving the Village through the years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
John Mann - 1845
John French - Oct. 22, 1845, rec. June 23, 1847 - b. 384 leaf 192 - $350.
George Pearson, wife Nancy - Aug. 23, 1847 - b. 386 leaf 259 - $900.
John French - Oct. 30, 1847 - b. 389 leaf 191 - $900. mtg deed
John Marland Feb. 8, 1848 - b. 394 leaf 283 - $900.
John Marland estate, Jeremiah S. Young, assignee - Dec. 26, 1849 - Insolvency
Josiah Putnam Bradlee - June 4, 1850 - b. 429 leafs 71 - 77
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, Wm. H. Hodgkins Trustee - Feb. 2, 1887
Ballard Vale Mills Co. - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 pgs. 238 - 244 (p. 242 - 10th parcel)
Harry C. Nason - Sept. 20, 1927 - b. 535 p. 207 - 2nd parcel
Harry C. & May P. Nason - Aug. 30, 1944 - b. 666 p. 370 - 2nd parcel
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - July 10, 1957 - b. 857 p. 385
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Ballardvale Green|
|Present Use||Village Green - Park|
|Original Use||Schoolhouse and open land|
|Construction Date||1848 & 1849|
|Map and parcel||138-54|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 23, 2017|