Themes: Architectural - Community development.
Asa Foster sold two parcels of land on April 7, 1759 to Zebediah Shattuck, a cordwainer. The first parcel held 30 acres, the second a 4 acre lot, both on the north side of the road to Billerica. Zeb Shattuck would sell to Zebediah Abbot on Sept. 5, 1761. The 4 acre parcel now held a house and a corn house. Zebediah Abbot Jr. b. 1739, married Nov. 14, 1865 to Mrs. Rebecca Ballard b. 1744. Rebecca joined South Church on Oct. 27, 1765. Zebediah joined on Oct. 25, 1866 and became a Deacon on May 30, 1785. Zeb. & Rebecca had five children; Anna b. Aug. 30, 1767, Zebediah Jr. b. June 6, 1769, Harman b. May 5, 1771, Joshua bpt. Mar. 2, 1773 d. May 21, 1773, Joshua bpt. Feb. 17, 1782 d. July 26, 1782. Zebediah Abbot is said to have built this home about 1790, he may have enlarged the Shattuck house. Dea. Zebediah died on Nov. 24, 1793. Rebecca died Sept. 14, 1821.
Son Zebediah Jr. b. June 6, 1769, married on Oct. 18, 1796 to Sarah Farrington. Zebediah joined the South Church on July 19, 1789. Sarah became a member on June 30, 1793. Zeb Jr. and Sarah had six children; Sally b. Feb. 24, 1798, Rebecca b. June 5, 1799, Anna b. May 18, 1801, Zebediah b. May 20, 1805 - d. Oct. 7, 1808, Jeremiah b. Jan. 9, 1807-8, Zebediah b. Apr. 10, 1810. Zebediah was elected Deacon on Apr. 2, 1813 and resigned on Nov. 28, 1826 when he and Sarah became charter members of West Parish Church. Zebediah was one of three Deacons of the newly established Parish. He resigned on Oct. 5, 1832. Zebediah died on May 31, 1836 at age 67 and widow Sarah on Mar. 4, 1847. They are interred at West Parish Cemetery.
Zebediah sold the farm to Capt. John Stanyon of Pembroke, NH on Sept. 30, 1824. for $3000. The homestead held 79 acres in six parcels of land.
John Stanyon sold off a 34' x 34' parcel of his farm at the corner of Beacon & Lowell Streets for a penny to the West Parish Center School District on Sept. 22, 1830 "for the purpose of setting a school house upon." John and wife Ann held the farm for eleven years then sold to Aaron D. Mayo and Thomas C. Foster, business partners, on April 12, 1833 for $2650. Mayo operated the Inn on Elm Square called Mayo's Tavern (later Elm House).
The homestead lot of six acres was sold to Zebediah Abbot, wife Caroline on Dec. 9, 1834. Zebediah sold to sisters Lavinia and Sarah Gleason on Mar. 20, 1845 for $1300. They were daughters of Jonathan & Sarah Lettice Gleason. They owned for three years then selling to Ezra Abbot, wife Hannah N. on April 1, 1848. The 1850 Valuation list Ezra Abbott: Dwelling house, Barn $1200, 5 acres adjoing buildings $275, 16 acre pasture $240 = $1715 - Farm stock $20, 1 share of Chelmsford Co. $150. Abbot sells to Ephraim & Susan P. Kendall, Jr. on Feb. 5, 1851.
Ephraim Kendall Jr. was born in 1818, son of Ephraim & Mary Kendall. He married Susan Pollard on Mar. 10, 1845 in Georgia. Susan was born in Rindge, NH, in 1816, dau. of James & Susan Pollard. Ephraim is listed as a Manufacturer in 1850. He died in May 1,1855 at age 48y 5m. Widow Susan P. Kendall in the 1860 census has Benjamin & Sarah B. Boynton, daughters Louisa age 3 and Clara 1 month old living with her. Susan sold the house to Sarah B. Boynton on June 18, 1868. Susan died on Dec. 27, 1869 and is interred at West Parish Cemetery.
Benjamin Boynton was b. July 18, 1817, son of Nenjamin & Bilinda (Pearson) Boynton. Ben, a shoe manufacturer, married Sarah B. Richards b. Dec. 14, 1823 in Ceylon. dau. of James & Sarah (Bardwell) Richards. Sarah held the deed until her death on April 9, 1894. Benjamin died on Nov. 25, 1894. Their daughter Clara A. Boynton, unmarried and only heir, inherits the property. Clara sells 18 months later in Oct. 1895 to Emma Pike of Malden, MA, wife of William Nathaniel Pike.
The Pike family held the farm for nearly 50 years. Emma died in June 1910 and her daughter Kate S. Pike purchased the property on Aug. 1, 1923 from her father and siblings: father William N. Pike, & Walter E, Cynthia, Lillian N., John N, and Albert W. Pike, Alice E. Seeley, & George Seeley) Kate & Lillian Pike sold the home with 4.48 acres in Nov. 1944 to Richard L. & Hazel K. Williams.
Williams had the property for 17 years selling to Richard E. & Frances P. Barton on June 6, 1961. Barton then sub-divided the land in 1962 (Plan 4561) reducing the homestead lot to 1.13 acres and created new house lots. Barton sold the homestead lot in July 1965 to William S. & Virginia R. Wheeler. Wheeler remained for three years selling to Alan I. & Deborah W. Blumberg in June 1968. They lived her for 5 years then selling to Donald E. & Beverly LeRoy on Dec. 4, 1973.
Peter F. & Juliet M. Groff purchased the property in July 1980. Juliet sadly died on June 21, 1990. Peter remained another 11 years before selling to the current owners John F. & Elizabeth A. Dempsey on June 22, 2001.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds,Lawrence, MA
West Parish Garden Cemetery records.
Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830
Andover map 1852
Andover Valuation Schedules 1850, 1860, 1870
Asa Foster - 1759
Zebediah Shattuck- Apr. 7, 1759 rec. 4/27/1762 - b. 112 leaf 24
Zabediah Abbot - Sept. 5, 1761 - b. 110 leaf 265 - 104 pounds 2 parcels w/house
Capt. John Stanyan, wife Ann - Sept. 30, 1824 - b. 237 leaf 122 -
Aaron D. Mayo & Thomas C. Foster - Apr. 12, 1833, rec. 6/16/1835 - b. 283 leaf 177 - $2650 - 67 acres
Zabediah Abbott, wife Caroline W. - Dec. 9, 1834 - b. 285 leaf 133 - $1500
Lavinia and Sarah Gleason - Mar. 20, 1845 - b. 354 leaf 172 - $1300
Ezra Abbot, wife Hannah B. - Apr. 1, 1848 - b. 395 leaf 193 - $1500
Ephraim Kendall Jr. wife Susan P. - Feb. 5, 1851 - b. 440 leaf 119 - $2000
Ephraim Kendall estate - died May 3,1855 age 48y 5m
Susan P. Kendall heir - May 1855
Sarah B. Boynton - June 18, 1868 - b. 750 leaf 221
Sarah B. Boynton estate - died April 9, 1894
Clara A. Boynton - April 1894 - heir
Kate S. Pike - Aug. 1, 1923 - b. 493 p. 543
Kate S. and Lillian N. Pike
Richard L. & Hazel K. Williams - Nov. 8, 1944 - b. 668 p. 585
Richard E. & Frances P. Barton - June 6, 1961 - b. 937 p. 268
William S. & Virginia R. Wheeler - July 28, 1965 - b. 1039 p. 373
Alan I. & Deborah W. Blumberg - June 25, 1968 - b. 1108 p. 396
Donald E. & Beverly LeRoy - Dec. 4, 1973 - b. 1232 p. 484
Peter F. & Juliet M. Groff - July 7, 1980 - b. 1445 p. 200
Peter F. Groff - June 1990
John F. & Elizabeth A. Dempsey - June 22, 2001 b. 6816 p. 169
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Zebediah Abbot - Capt. John Stanyan House|
|Construction Date||late 18th cent.|
|Foundation||stone, basement;brick floor|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards / wood|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn|
|Acreage||1.13 acres approximate frontage 182'.|
|Map and parcel||88-60|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77,03/04/2006, 1/2014|