Interesting architectual feature is that no room abuts another - maintaining a cool atmosphere through summer heat and humidity.
A fire in 1916 damaged interior of building. Shutters and glass knobs are original. Fireplaces show marks of Franklin stoves.
Themes: Architectural, community development, education, religion, social/humanitarian.
In 1833, William Bartlet, a merchant from Newburyport and benefactor of Andover Theological Seminary, promised $5,000 for a house for Prof. Thomas Skinner who lived here 3 years. The house was constructed in 1833-34 by Bartlet and three years later he transferred ownership to the Trustees of the Academy. The deed was transferred on Aug. 15, 1837 and states; .... "a certain brick dwelling house, which was built by me in the years 1833 and 1834 on land in Andover, aforesaid, belonging to the said Trustees, in their capacity aforesaid and which was designed and appropriated for the residence of the "Professor of Sacred Rhetoric" in the Theological Seminary, in said Academy.
Prof. Edwards Park moved in with his bride in 1836 and lived here 64 years. "Heretical meetings which brought about break of Victorians from Congregational Church were held here".
The Rev. Edwards Amasa Park [1808-1900] was one of the most influential religious thinkers and writers of the 19th century. He served as Professor of Sacred Rhetoric at Andover Theological Seminary, 1836-1847 and was Prof. of Christian Theology, 1847-1881 and prof. emeritus to 1900. He was editor of the religious organ, Bibliotheca Sacra.
Edwards Amasa Park was born Dec. 29, 1808 in Providence RI, son of Calvin & Abigail (Ware) Park. Edwards graduated from Brown University in 1826 and Andover Theological Seminary in 1831.He served as Pastor of Dr. Storr's Church in Briantree, MA from 1831-1835. Then Prof of Mental & Moral Philosophy at Amherst 1835-1836. Edwards married on Sept. 21, 1836 to Anna Mariah Edwards b. Apr. 22, 1812 in North Hampton, MA dau. of Col. William & Rebecca (Tappan) Edwards. Prof. Park came to Andover in 1836 and was Professor of Sacred Rhetoric and Christian Theology at ATS until 1881.
Edwards & Anna M. had three children; William Edwards b. July 1, 1837, Anna Maria b. Feb. 23, 1841 - d. Feb. 25, 1841 and Agnes Beren b. July 6, 1845. Their son William graduated from ATS in 1867 was a minister and married on March 4, 1874 to Sarah Storrs Billings Edwards dau. of Bela & Jerusha W. Edwards of Andover.
Anna M. died on Oct. 7, 1893 age 81. Edwards died on June 4, 1900 at age 91. Their daughter Miss Agnes Park remained as a resident in the home until her death in 1922. A fire in the house on Feb. 5, 1916 caused significant damage to the interior, starting on the second floor and spreading to the attic. Work began immediately to restore the damage and the house was ready for occupancy by July 1916.
The Park home was then acquired by the school and is used as faculty housing.
Original owner: Andover Theological Seminary
Later owner: Mr. & Mrs. Frederick Peterson
Trustees of Phillips Academy
Building marker 1996
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Andover Townsman June 8, 1900 - Obit of Professor Park
Robbins, Sarah S.; Old Andover Days, Pilgrim Press,1908
Twing, Chas. F.; Guides, Philosophers & Friends: Studies of College Men [N. Y. MacMillian, 1927]
Phillips Academy Library and Archives
Bacon, Edwin; Literary Pilgrimages in New England to Homes of Famous Makers of American Literature - Boston, 1902 Chapter II.
Fenelon, Herbert; Edwards A. Park: Preacher and Pastor [Allen, Morrill & Wardwell, Andover, 1845].
Foster, Frank N.; The Life of Edwards Amas Park, 1936
Woods, Rev. Leonard; Minister of Andover Theological Seminary, 1885
Phillips Academy, Andover Massachusetts, 1990 by Robert A. Domingue
Phillips Academy Trustees 1833
William Bartlet - 1833
Phillips Academy Trustees - Aug. 15, 1837, rec. Dec. 8, 1838 - b. 309 leaf 117
|Place||Phillips District - Phillips Academy|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Park House - Phillips Academy|
|Present Use||faculty house|
|Original Use||faculty house|
|Construction Date||1833 - 1834|
|Source||Phillips Academy files|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||interior after fire Feb. 5, 1916 Rear ell and barn razed - 2011|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Setting||Phillips Academy, Old Campus|
|Map and parcel||56-7B|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/15/2015|