174-176 Andover Street

Architectural Description: 


Wide eaves; brackets & round arched windows 2nd floor; tall slender windows first floor; gable roof (slate); 10 rooms, 2 units, 2 baths, 4 bedrooms, 2 chimneys

Historical Narrative: 

Original owner: Boston & Maine Railroad

Themes: architectural, community development, transportation

June 23, 1882 Andover Advertiser pg. 3 - The B & M. Railroad Co. are greatly improving the depot at Ballardvale. The long station is to be cut in two parts. One half is to be placed on a new cellar in the northwest corner of the premises of the company and fitted up as a residence for the station agent. The other half will be moved back a rod or two from the track and used for a passenger station. A freight depot is to be built on the opposite side of the track.

This home was originally one half of Ballardvale's second railroad station. When the old Andover & Wilmington railroad was absorbed by Boston & Maine Railroad the tracks and line was relocated to the current route in 1847 to accommodate both Ballardvale and the new city of Lawrence. The first train station was the Andover Wilmington RR depot located at Andover St.

The Hall over passenger station was used by Methodists and later the Catholic services until other venues of church buildings were made available. The hall also served as a gathering place for meetings of various organizations, lectures, Punch & Judy shows, stereopticon lectures etc. Meetings of the Good Templars and other activities were also held in the hall.

In 1882 the depot building was cut in half and this section was moved across the tracks and sited here. It became the home of the station attendant.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Town of Andover Assessment summary
2 Newspaper Articles enclosed in binder

Boston & Maine Railroad - 1848 - 1925
John J. Cronin - Jan. 19, 1925 - b. 508 p. 75
John H. Clinton - Apr. 27, 1925 - b. 511 p. 254
John T. Clinton - Apr. 12, 1935 - b. 588 p. 567
Frederick E. & Ethel M. Durling - Sept. 4, 1940 - b. 634 p. 147
George & Isabel Quesenberry - Oct. 10, 1950 - b. 742 p. 83
Roy D. Umanzio & Christine Zander - June 20, 1985 - b. 1991 p. 50
Steven L. & Madelyn Mitton - Feb. 8, 2002 - b. 6658 p. 307

Inventory Data:

StreetAndover St
Historic DistrictBallardvale Local Historic District
Historic DistrictBallardvale National Register District
Historic NameBallardvale Boston and Maine Railroad Station, Depot house
Present Useresidence
Original UsePart of railroad station
Construction Date1847-1850
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleItalianate
Architect/BuilderBoston and Maine Railroad
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood shingles
Roofslate - gable
Major AlterationsFront porch added
Move Details1882
Acreage272 acre; 12,150 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 93'
Map and parcel138-6
MHC NumberANV.28
Recorded byStack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77/1993/ Feb 1998