Federal Style house with hip roof
Themes: Architectural, community development, education.
This home is said to have been built about 1780 although the current house was probably built about 1810-1820 in the Federal Style.
Nathan Holt purchased the property from Nathan Abbott 4th on Dec. 27, 1836 for $250 and other property. The deed states 100 rods with buildings. Nathan of Bradford, married Abigail Cochran of Andover on Aug. 21, 1832. Nathan joined the West Parish Church on May 6, 1832. #173. They had two children; Mary Ann bp. Apr. 13, 1834 and Stephen C. b. Nov. 17, 1846 - d. Feb. 20, 1849. They owned for five years.
Nathan Holt sold his farmhouse to Osgood Barnard on May 1, 1841. Osgood was the son of John & Lydia (Mooar) Barnard. He was born on Nov. 23, 1799 and was a cordwainer or shoemaker. He married Martha Luscomb of Methuen on April 15, 1824. They had three children; Henry Osgood and Sarah W. died young and Martha Ann Barnard who married on April 27, 1850 to George Russell, a shoemaker, who grew up at 167 Lowell St. They had three children; Ella Anne, George O. and Harriett (Hattie) Russell. They lived with Martha's parents. Husband George Russell died on July 14. 1869, 42y 9m of a hemorrhage. Martha remained with her parents and became a dressmaker. Her mother Martha L. died on Aug. 5, 1874. Osgood died on Feb. 7, 1882 age 82y 3m. Their daughter Martha Ann inherited the house.
Martha Anne's daughter Hattie L. (Russell) Abbott later inherited the property from her mother Martha when she died Aug 15, 1918 at the age of 90y 9m. The home had seen three generations of Russells before Hattie sold to Margaret F. Doyle wife of John S. Doyle June 1, 1922.
Doyle held ownership for six years before selling to Alice E. Batcheller, wife of Kirk Batcheller in July 1928. From 1937-1943 the house was named "Kirkshire House" a roadside inn and restaurant. Edith Graham Ramsay, wife of Harold S., purchased the property and held from Sept. 1938 - 1941. The Batcheller's moved down the street to the old Artemus Brown homestead at #161 Lowell Street.
Arceneth M. Pattee, wife of Luther A. briefly held the property 1941-1942, before the Lawrence Coop Bank took ownership Nov. 1942.
Alexander & Doris E. Ritchie Jr. purchased the home on April 16, 1943 and lived here for 33 years.
Dentist Ernest A. & wife Joan M. Gravellese were next to own from Feb. 28, 1975 to Dec. 1993.
Arthur A. Daniels Jr. purchased the property on Dec. 6, 1993 for use as his residence and dental practice. The house was completely gutted during the renovation. An existing ell was razed after the foundation collapsed. A large new attition was attached to the rear of the house and a pool cabana built next to an in-ground pool. Very little remains of the original fabric of the the Holt - Barnard House
Certificate on file with house picture.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Cemetery records.
Nathan Abbott 4th - 1836
Nathan Holt, wife Abigail - Dec. 27, 1836 - b. 296 leaf 57 - $250
Osgood Barnard - May 1, 1841 - b. 324 lf. 224 Salem
Martha A. Russell daughter of Osgood Barnard
Hattie L. R. Abbott grand dau. of Osgood Barnard
Margaret F. Doyle wife of John S. - June 1, 1922 b. 459 p. 82
Alice E. Batcheller, wife of Kirk. - July 10, 1928 - b. 541 b. 291
Edith Graham Ramsay, wife of Harold S. - Sept. 19, 1938 - b. 618 p. 213
Arceneth M. Pattee, wife of Luther A. - Nov. 28, 1941 b. 647 p. 522
Lawrence Coop Bank - Nov. 27, 1942 - b. 655 p. 59
Alexander & Doris E. Ritchie Jr. - APr. 16, 1943 - b. 657 p. 311
Ernest A. Gravellese - Feb. 28, 1975 - b. 1256 p. 277
Ernest A. & Joan M. Gravellese - Mar. 17, 1975 b. 1256 p. 707
Ernest A. & Joan M. Gravellese - Jan. 29, 1976 - b. 1276 p. 57
Joan Trust, Ernest A. Gravellese Tr. - Jan. 29, 1978 b. 1276 p. 50
Arthur A. Daniels Jr. - Dec. 6, 1993 b. 3920 p. 81
Daniels Realty Trust - A. A. Daniels Jr. Tr. - Aug. 12, 2009, b. 11729 p. 47
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds - Lawrence, MA
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Nathan Holt - Osgood Barnard House|
|Present Use||residence, dentist practice|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Pool house|
|Major Alterations||1994-95 by Arthur A. Daniels SE wing razed, entire house structure gutted, re-clad sheathing,Large addtion to house on SE side rear for dentist practice, in-ground pool and pool cabana house added.|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||89-13|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975/1977, 03/04/2006, 1/2014|