Greek Revival home, gable end to street, bracketed door hood, triangular window in gable
Themes - Architectural and Community development
This property was once owned by Joseph L. Low who built his home at 70 North Main St. in 1820. Low owned all the land from the bridge over the railroad to Lewis St. which is now much of the land occupied by the Town Yard. Low also owned the land on the east side of North Main Street from the bridge to Harding St. Low sold off a one acre parcel to Nathan Frye on May 19, 1835 that included this lot to the corner of Harding street. Nathan Frye was the president of the Marland Manufacturing Co. on Stevens St. and lived at 166 North Main.
Frye held the lot for seven years then sold to William Bell, a Spinner on July 13, 1842. Bell paid $200. for the parcel. Bell divided the property in half, retaining the north portion and sold the southern portion to William Crabb on Feb. 23, 1846 for $150. Nathan Frye purchased the lot back from Crabb on Aug. 14, 1847.
Frye then sells the property to the Boston & Maine Railroad Corp. in Nov. 13, 1847 recorded Sept. 2, 1848. The Boston & Maine was relocating the railroad tracks of the former Andover - Wilmington Railroad to the current rail location to service the new city of Lawrence. High St. from Harding St to North Andover is the old location of the railroad line.
The half acre property was then purchased by Mary Cornell for $2000. on April 12, 1849 with buildings. The 1850 Valuation schedule lists Widow Mary Cornell, 1/4 acre with dwelling house and house lot $1600. Mary (Clark) Cornell was born 1799 in Wilmington, MA, widow of James Cornell who died in Wilmington, MA on Feb. 1, 1832. Mary came to Andover with her children, James T. b. 1821, Mary b. Oct. 9, 1822, Charlotte b. 1825 and John b. 1830. The 1850 census lists Mary, daughter Mary Blood, wife of Marshall, Charlotte & husband John H. Smith, and son John Cornell age 19. Son James T. drowned on June 29, 1845 age 24. Mary's daughter Lucretia had married Cyrus Taylor but died on Feb. 7, 1836.
Mary Cornell died on April 1, 1855 and her children became heirs of the property.
John Cornell, James H. & Charlotte C. Smith, and Marshall & Mary Blood all have the deed to the property when sold to James R. Murray and Lucia F. Clarke on Sept. 12, 1872. Murray and Clarke paid $3000. for the property. Lucia Clarke then sells her portion of the property to Murray in July 1873. The deed dimensions run through the house, suggesting that it may have been used as a two-family home. Murray later sells back to Clarke to same 1/4 acre portion in Feb. 22, 1881 for $1500. Lucia Clarke then holds the home for ten years selling to Patrick Donovan on Sept. 5, 1891. The lot sold is now 1/2 acre.
Patrick Donovan owned the home until his death on April 1, 1902. Patrick died intestate, and the property then went to his children, Dennis, John J. and Catherine Donovan who then sold their 3/4 undivided share to Mary McManus on Sept. 19, 1902. Mary held for just one year then sold to Walter H. Seacole on Sept. 19, 1902. At this time the property lot extended 132' to the corner of Harding St., then eastward 177' on Harding St. Walter Seacole sub-divided the lot selling the house lot to Robert E. & Bessie Franz on Oct. 29, 1921.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Joseph L. Low - 1835 land
Nathan Frye, wife Amanda - May 19, 1835 - b. 283 leaf 24 - 1 acre
William Bell - July 13, 1842 - b. 334 leaf 229 - 1 acre
William Crabb - Feb. 23, 1846 - b. 364 leaf 261 - 1/2 acre
Nathan Frye, wife Amanda - Aug. 14, 1847 -
Boston & Maine Railroad Corporation - Sept. 2, 1848 - b. 401 leaf 125
Mary Cornell - Apr. 12, 1849 - b. 422 leaf 247
John Cornell, James H. & Charlotte C. Smith, Marshall & Mary Blood - Apr. 12, 1849 - b. 442 leaf 247
James R. Murray and Lucia F. Clarke - Sept. 12, 1872 - b. 17 p. 272
James R. Murray - July 12, 1873 - b. 22 p. 517
Lucia F. Clarke - Feb. 22, 1881 - b. 62 p. 583
Patrick Donovan - Sept. 5, 1891 - b. 114 p. 278
Patrick Donovan estate, heirs Dennis John J. and Catherine Donovan - Apr. 1, 1902
Mary McManus - Sept. 19, 1902 - b. 197 p. 198
Walter H. Seacole - Sept. 21, 1903 - b. 206 p. 555
Robert E. & Bessie R. Franz -Oct. 29, 1921 - b. 450 p. 30
Alice G. Parker - Oct. 1, 1948 - b. 715 p. 518
Alice G. (Parker) Hibbard, hus. Edmund
Moody E. & Mary J. Johnson - Oct. 17, 1952 - b. 767 p. 414
Sumner F. Davis and Mildred P. Davis Robb - Sept. 10, 1957 - b. 861 p. 80
Arthur J. & Betty J. Keller - Oct. 31, 1970 - b. 1161 p. 640
Mark L. & Karen (Flynn) Pugatch - Aug. 15, 1979 - b. 1384 p. 188
Margaret F. Serley - July 26, 1982 - b. 1592 p. 197
Anthony W. McClain & Terri L. Hubbard - Sept. 25, 1989 - b. 3001 p. 337
Naoko & Antoine J. Camin - Oct. 13, 1999 - b. 5577 p. 136
|Street||North Main St|
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Mary Cornell House|
|Construction Date||1847 -1848|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||38-88|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/9/2015|