Two family Duplex
These four duplex apartment houses were built by the M. T. Stevens & Co. about 1916 on the former north lawn of the Nathan Frye estate. The property was once owned by Abraham Marland from 1828-1849 and after his death Nathan Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849 - 1879.
Abraham Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village, which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village. The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings at Atria Marland Place, and a row of brick tenement houses.” Abraham Marland built his homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd.
In 1828 Marland bought the entire property which included the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of Land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849.
Nathan Frye was born in Andover and at age 14 entered the employment of Marland Manufacturing Co. He worked his way up to Superintendent of the mill and was elected president in 1849. The company sold Nathan ten acres land on the hill overlooking the mill pond and factory on December 31, 1852. The lot went from the Shawsheen River and mill pond, along Stevens St. to North Main St. and south to Railroad Street including the site of the Andover Commons, (former Tyer Rubber Co.) to the Free Church land and back along the ridge behind Bakers Lane and back down to the river. Nathan may have built the house (#166 No. Main St.) on the property prior to owning the land as his house and buildings are assessed 1850 at $4000. Through the years his entire family lived with them in the mansion house.
Nathan Frye married on Apr. 4, 1833 to Amanda Gleason, born Oct. 14, 1807, dau. of Jonathan & Sarah Gleason. They had two sons, Charles Horatio b. June 25, 1835 and William b. Feb. 12, 1840. Nathan built the house 1852-1853 and continued as president “for nearly thirty years, maintaining a name for probity and energy.”
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens of North Andover in 1879. Sarah Loring Bailey notes, “In the recent financial crisis of the country, this manufacturing company became embarrassed, and, in July 1879, the mills, machinery, and all the property were sold to Mr. Moses T Stevens,”
Stevens began improvements at the Marland mill and in 1884 relocated the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and additional operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street. As the 1913 Andover directory does not list any residents living at the addresses 170 – 184 North Main St. and with a downturn in the market in 1914, we currently give a date of construction circa 1916 for the four duplexes.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation, now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. , employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. The company later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. after World War II.
In 1953 the J. P. Stevens Co. began to divest itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents. Approval of the subdivision plans #2619 and #2020 by the Andover Board of Appeals occurred in Nov. 1952 and plan #3356 in Oct. 1955. Many of the 62 homes were occupied by employees of the mill and it appears as if the Steven’s Co. may have given them “first right of refusal” as many homes were purchased by those who had been renting. Lot #4 map #3356 - Oct. 1955
Raymond J. & Madeline A. Terrio purchased the property on Oct. 29, 1956. In the 1943 Directory Raymond & Madeline are renting #178. Raymond works at Marland Mill as a general mill worker. In unit #180 is Raymond C. & Edna S. Brickett. Raymond is an overseer in the mill. A Roberta Brickett live with them and is a draftsman for GE at the Lynn, MA plant. Terrio later sells the property on Dec. 2, 1960 to Joseph Thomas Driver. The 1961 directory lists Joseph T. b. 1914 an accountant in #180. Charles R. Driver b. 1905 an overseer and wife Blanche b. 1907 also reside with Joseph. Joseph late died and his estate is handled by Charles Ryan Driver. In 1965 the Frank & Anna Sampiere live in unit #178 with Geraldine P. Sampire an accountant.
Geraldine married Arthur Rourke and they with Anna F. Sampiere purchased the house from the Driver estate on Dec. 9, 1968. They held the property for 16 years then transferred the deed via Helen D. Murphy in Nov. 1984 to
Geraldine P. Rourke, David J. Rourke and Anna E. & Frank N. Sampiere. Geraldine P. Rourke and David J. Rourke hold the deed as of Feb. 3, 2003, the family continues 2014 after 46 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Lot #4 map #3356 - Oct. 1955
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Marland Manufacturing Co., Abraham Marland Pres., - 1834 – Feb. 20, 1849
Marland Manufacturing Co., Nathan Frye, Pres. Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Nathan Frye – Dec. 31, 1852 – b. 471 leaf 223 Salem deed – Homestead lot
Nathan Frye – July 30, 1880 – b. 60 p. 540 – Andover Savings Bank mtg. discharge
Moses T. Stevens – Feb. 6, 1882 – b. 67 p. 540 – mtg. deed
Nathaniel Stevens – b. 88 p. 150 mtg. deed assigned
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482 - Mill complex and housing
Nathan Frye Estate, Amanda, Charles H. and William Frye – Oct. 15, 1886 – b. 88 p. 148
Nathaniel Stevens – Oct. 15, 1886 – b. 88 p. 149
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Dec.17, 1912 – b. 325 p. 568
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
Raymond J. & Madeline A. Terrio - Oct. 29, 1956 - b. b. 844 p. 331
Joseph Thomas Driver - Dec. 2, 1960 - b. 928 p. 42
Joseph Thomas Driver estate, Charles Ryan Driver, Extr. 1968
Arthur T. & Geraldine P. Rourke and Anna E. Sampiere - Dec. 9, 1968 - b. 1121 p. 185
Helen Dorothea Murphy - Nov. 1, 1984 - b. 1889 p. 316
Geraldine P. Rourke, David J. Rourke and Anna E. & Frank N. Sampiere - Nov. 28, 1984 - b. 1889 p. 317
Geraldine P. Rourke and David J. Rourke - Feb. 3, 2003 - b. 7492 p. 289
|Street||North Main St|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||M. T. Stevens & Co. Mill housing|
|Present Use||residences - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||circa 1916|
|Architect/Builder||M. T. Sevens Co.|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding and replacement windows former open porches now enclosed|
|Map and parcel||54-9|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 8/2014|