Themes: Architectural, Community Development
Nathaniel & Anna Whittier once owned the property. Nathaniel was a Wheelwright and his wife Anna owned jointly. With the death of Nathaniel in 1819 Anna appointed Thomas C. Foster as agent for their children, Elvira, Mehitable, Tryphena and Daniel all minors. Probate licensed Foster to sell the estate in November 1819. The 1 acre 21 poles parcel, with buildings, was sold on Jan. 25, 1820 to Ebenezer Whittier and Richard Whittler of Methuen for $1200. Ebenezer & Richard held the property for five years then sold to Henry and Mary Skinner for $1500. on August 12, 1825.
Henry Skinner was a Trader, and partner of Francis Kidder. The two merchants opened a business in the "Brick Block" on Elm Square at the corner of Main & Central Streets. Skinner owned the home for 26 years. The 1850 Andover Valuation assessment schedule lists Wid. Mary Skinner, 1 acre land and dwelling house $2150. Mary was now living in Acton MA when she sold to Herman Abbott Jr. for $2150 on June 16, 1851. Abbot owned two years then selling for $2600. to Henry P. Swestzer and wife Ann Marie of Charlestown, MA on July 25, 1853.
Horace Philbrookk Beard purchased the home on Dec. 31, 1866 for $5000. Horace Beard was also a dry goods merchant. In July 1866 Nathaniel Swift sold his building at 8 Essex St. building to Horace P. Beard for $8000. Beard was in business with James Dodge prior to this location. Mar. 10, 1855 AA – “New firm of Dodge & Beard – purchased C. G. NcNeil’s stock of Goods, consisting of Dry Goods, Groceries, Farming tools, Grass & Garden Seeds, Bondi Common & Fancy Crackers. James S. Dodge & Horace P. Beard.” Mr. Beard had worked for McNeil before his business failed. Dodge & Beard did a good business at this location at Red Spring Rd. and their partnership continued for ten years.
Aug. 5, 1865 – “Dissolve partnership of Dodge & Beard (July 31, 1865) New firm of H. P. Beard & Co. – Horace P. Beard, John L. Smith & Albert S. Manning” A year later the new firm would relocate to this building.
July 27, 1866 AA – “Nathaniel Swift sells his store on Essex Street to Horace P. Beard for $8000. The lot is 40’ on Essex St. & 105’ on Central St. and the building measures 32 x 90 three stories in height. Horace Beard was in partnership with James S. Dodge with their store located at the foot of Red Spring Road across form the bridge.”
July 21, 1871 AA – “Mr. Horace P. Beard, senior partner of H. P. Beard & Co. dies – obit – came to Andover about 20 years age –for a short time employed in the store of C. G. McNeil – in a few years McNeil gave up his business and Beard engaged in his own account. [The grocery stores of Messrs Holt & Higgins, E.R. Farnsworth & Co, and H. W. Abbott, will be closed tomorrow 2-5 for the funeral of H. P. Beard.” Mr. Horace Beard was the first burial in Spring Grove Cemetery.
Horace Philbrook Beard married Frances Rosetta Shattuck b. 1841, oldest child, of Charles Rosetta (Hopkins) Shattuck. Frances was born on the family homestead at 241 Lowell St. in West Andover. Horace was just 35 at the time of his death but for all of Horace’s success great tragedy followed his death. Their daughter Cordelia died at age 8 in March 1875, their two sons Arthur age 11 and Horace Jr.10 died in a house fire on Nov. 18, 1879. Frances was suspected of setting the fire. She would later attack her other daughter Abby Josephine and a friend with a hatchet and was committed to an insane asylum in Maine. She died in June 1911 and is interred in the family lot in Spring Grove Cemetery.
Selwin A. Dodge was appointed guardian of Frances R. Beard and on Nov. 9, 1895 sold the property to prominent Andover businessman John H. Flint who lived next door at 8 Elm St. Flint built the Musgrove Building, and the Elm Block and was President of Tyer Rubber Co. The home was then income property during the Flints ownership. Flint's wife Frances inherited the property and then went to their two daughters Gertrude L. Grier and Nellie F. Rand. Nellie Rand bought out her sister's share.
Walter I. Morse purchased the house from Nellie Rand on Aug. 27, 1925 and owned for eight years. Morse purchased the H. McLawlin Hardware store in the Barnard Block at 27 Main St. in 1906 and was the proprietor until 1928 when he sold the business to W. R. Hill Hardware. Morse sold the house back to Nellie Rand in 1933.
Everett M. & J. Ruth Lundgren purchased the property on April 12, 1934. In 1918 Mr. Everett M. Lundgren, funeral director and embalmer is listed at, 1R Elm Street, in the rear of Flint's Elm Block. Andover Townsman - June 26, 1936 – Ad for Lundgren’s Funeral Home – 1840 – 1936 – 26 years of personal service. 24 Elm St., former owners – Herman & Joseph Abbott, James Crabtree, Charles Parker, F. H. Messer, and Everett Lundgren. The Lundgren's converted the upper floor of the house into their home and the main level was converted to the funeral parlor. The family business was later taken over by their sons Malcolm Earl & Donald Everett Lundgren. Donald and wife Marjorie L. continued the business until Donald retired. The property was then sold to F & M Trust, Frans R. D. Teding Van Berkhout, Tr. on June 11, 1984.
The new owners gutted the house from top to bottom creating open spaces for conversion to a fine dining restaurant. Opening as "The Duck of Andover" (1986) then "Rembrandt’s" (1988), "The Restaurant at 18 Elm Street" (1992) and now Palmer's Restaurant, with casual dining on the main level and full dining room service above. Both popular spots with residents and visitors to town.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Goldsmith, Bessie: Townswoman's Andover, 1964, p.103
Nathaniel & Anna Whittier
Nathaniel Whittier estate, Anna heir
Ebenezer Whittier & Richard Whittier - Jan. 25, 1820 - b. 229 leaf 30
Henry & Mary Skinner - Aug. 12, 1825 - b. 239 leaf 204
Herman Abbot, Jr. - June 16, 1851 - b. 449 leaf 196
Henry P. Swestzer, wife Ann Marie - b. July 25, 1853 - b. 481 leaf 113
Horace P. Beard - Dec. 31, 1866 - b. 716 leaf 97 - 1 acre
Horace P. Beard estate - 1871, Frances R. Beard heir
Selwin A. Dodge guardian for Frances R. Beard -
John H. Flint - Nov. 9, 1895 - b. 143 p. 578
John H. Flint estate, Frances A. Flint heir
Frances A. Flint estate, heirs: Gertrude L. Grier & Nellie F. Rand
Nellie F. Rand, wife of Joseph A. - Dec. 30, 1922 - b. 471 p. 158
Walter I. Morse - Aug. 27, 1925 - b. 515 p. 164
Nellie F. Rand - Sept. 19, 1933 - b. 572 p. 108
Everett M. & J. Ruth Lundgren - Apr. 12, 1934 - b. 577 p. 160
Malcolm Earl Lundgren & Donald Everett Lundgren - Nov. 19, 1943 b. b. 661 p. 280
Frances E. Rooks - Jan. 4, 1960 - b. 908 p. 203 - deed transfer
Donald E. & Marjorie L. Lundgren - Jan. 4, 1960 - b. 908 p. 204
Donald E. Lundgren - Sept. 19, 1962 - b. 968 p. 97 & 98
F & M Trust: Frans R. D. Teding Van Berkhout, Tr. - June 11, 1984 - b. 1820 p. 195
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Whittier - Beard - Lundgren House|
|Present Use||Palmer's Restaurant|
|Construction Date||1816 - 1820|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||porches added|
|Acreage||0.331 acre; 25,000 square feet, 151 feet approximate frontage|
|Map and parcel||38-118|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/2/2016|