Greek Revival church
This Greek Revival church was built by the Methodist Episcopal Church of Ballardvale about 1854. The Ballardvale Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in February 1850. It served the parishioners until 1955 when the church merged with the Ballardvale Union Church. The congregation first purchased the parsonage lot #33 from the Andrew Scott estate at auction for $175 on Dec. 29, 1851. They later purchased the adjoining lot #32 on the corner of Tewksbury & Marland Streets on Sept. 26, 1854 from William L. King of NYC and Levi Meriam of Boston, Treasurer of the Ballardvale Machine Shop Co. That site became the location of the church. The current site today includes both parcels of land and the former parsonage at 18 Tewksbury Street. The Parsonage for the Ballardvale Methodist Church was built in 1884. Andover Advertiser - Aug. 1, 1884 - p.2 - "Hardy & Cole will build the new Methodist parsonage at Ballardvale."
The Boston & Maine Rail Road Corp once owned this property when the railroad line was relocated to its current position in 1847. The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property along Andover, Centre, Tewksbury, Church and Marland Streets in 1847.
This property, numbered Lots #32 & #33, on plan of land of the "Village of Ballardvale & House lots belonging to Ballard Vale Machine Shop Company" - Surveyed May 1848 by Franklin Darracott, Engineer. John Marland and Jonathan (John) Howe Jr. dated 1847, by as recorded by Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA. Marland & Howe of the Ballard Vale Machine Shop began auctioning off building lots on Wednesday, July 28, 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbot and Porter of Boston.
An early deed lists the following Trustees; Caw L. Dearborn, Benj. Dearborn, John Noon, Stephen Dinsmore, Gilman Davis, J. I. Pinch and Harris Hoyt.
The Reverend S. G. Hiler is the first recorded minister to serve the church. Twenty five ministers served after Hiler prior to the construction of the parsonage in 1884. The Rev. J. A. Day and Rev. N. H. Martin are both listed as pastors of the church from 1883-1888. Rev. Day would be the first to occupy the parsonage.
Andover Advertiser April 14, 1882 - "Capt. J. P. Bradlee has shingled the Methodist Church, painted, papered, and placed a furnace in the inside and will paint the outside and set out trees and shrubbery about the building. The magnanimity of Captain Bradlee in preforming such generous acts are highley commendable especially when it it well known that his religious views are not in strict accordance with those on his beneficiaries. Capr. Bradlee has also presented the church with a fine pipe organ."
The church seems to have had a large percentage of German parishioners as the following was reported in the Andover Townsman (AT) on Mar. 14, 1890. Rev. Phillips Stehl of Lawrence preached here last Sunday afternoon in German, and will be here every other Sunday until further notice.
The organ at the Methodist church has been moved from the rear to the front of the church.
April 11, 1890 AT - The organ at the Methodist Church has been placed at the back of the church beside the pulpit. Mr. E. M. Fessenden made the change. Mr. Fessendon, by the way, has had in increase in his salary as organist at the High Street Church, Lowell, where he is much liked."
The Methodist Church merged with the Ballardvale Union Congregational Church in 1955 becoming the Ballardvale United Church. The church Trustees sold the former Methodist parsonage to Phillip & Patricia G. Park, Jr. on Nov. 30, 1962. The parcel included both the parsonage lot and the former church lot. The church building was razed in 1961.
The Park family owned the home for three years then selling to William & Elaine Ritchie on Feb. 12, 1965. Ritchie owned just two years then sold to Bernard C. & Marion C. Parker on July 3, 1967. The Parker family continues as owners of record, now 49 years in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files, church records.
Andover's Assessor's office
"National Register of Historic Places" certificate
Methodist Episcopal Church of Ballardvale - Dec. 29, 1851 - b. 455 leaf 205 - lot #33 - $175. Parsonage lot
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation - 1848
William L. King & Levi Meriam - Aug. 1, 1849 - b. 424 leaf 290 - lot #32 Church lot.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Ballardvale - Sept. 26, 1853 - b. 453 p. 104 - lot #32 - $175.
Methodist Church of Ballardvale, Trustees, Ernest J. Rollins, Henry L. Meyers Wm. D. Marruzzi, John M. Wilson - 1955
Ballardvale United Church - May 15, 1961 - b. 940 p. 87
Phillip & Patricia G. Park. Jr. - Nov. 30, 1962 - b. 978 p. 354
William & Elaine Ritchie - Feb. 12, 1965 - b. 1028 p. 72
Bernard C. & Marion C. Parker, Jr. - July 3, 1967 - b. 1085 p. 290
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Methodist Episcopal Church of Ballardvale|
|Present Use||part of parsonage lot|
|Original Use||Church site|
|Construction Date||1850 - 1854|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||9315.5 square feet|
|Map and parcel||157-46|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 30, 2016|