This house is not listed in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The property is however historic in design and is within the district buffer zone.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
The building was probably constructed by Edward Fleming who purchased the land on June 27, 1908 from the John Barrett estate. It was Edward T. Fleming that developed the house lots along Hillside Ave. in 1923. The estate consisted of two parcels of land on Haverhill St. adjoining the Boston & Maine Railroad and along what was to become Hillside Avenue now Fleming Ave. Originally the street went straight up the hill on the east side of the store on Haverhill St. and was probably the driveway to the Barrett house at #4 Fleming and Alexander Cohen’s home #56 Haverhill St..
Edward Fleming sold the property to John J. Fleming on Mar. 30, 1928. This home is unique to the street as it is the only one that used a plan design of William M. Wood's architects. Simular house style can be found on Carlisle, Sutherland and Stirling Streets. The property was later purchased by Edward Fleming and then purchased by Roland W. & Ruth F. Starke on July 3, 1933.
Gerhard & Mae Hartman became the owners on Oct. 31, 1936. Harman's were long time residents. Gerhard died on Dec. 8, 1969. Mae later sold after 36 years to Brian R. & Patricia Sutcliffe on Nov. 29, 1972.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Plans #528 Aug. 10, 1923 Hillside Ave, #830 Aug. 1930, plan of Hillside, #928 Edward Fleming
Map 831 - Mar. 31, 1931 - Easement - Map # 635 Apr. 12, 1926
William Lawson - 1856
John Barrett -
John Barrett - Nov. 17, 1891 - b. 116 p. 366 - Cohen house & 2a lot
John Barrett - July 3, 1900 - b. 178 p. 230 – 232 two parcels
John Barrett estate, Jane Barrett, trustee - 1901
Edward Fleming - June 27, 1908 - b. 262 p. 346
John J. Fleming, wife Teresa A. - Mar. 30, 1928 - b. 538 p. 149
Edward Fleming - July 1, 1933 - b. 571 p.7
Roland W. & Ruth F. Starke - July 3, 1933 - b. 571 p.7
Gerhard & Mae Hartman - Oct. 31, 1936 - b. 602 p. 468
Gerhard Hartman estate, Mae Hartman heir - Dec. 8, 1969 -
Brian R. & Patricia Sutcliffe - Nov. 29, 1972 - b. 1207 p. 368
David Hastings & Linda Vasconcellos - Apr. 10, 1981 - b. 1496 p. 211
Christopher A. & Tracey M. Meech - Apr. 16, 1996 - b. 4478 p. 170
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1923 - 1924|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Wall/Trim||cedar shingles/wood/ aluminuim clapboard cladding|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Aluminum siding, replacement windows.|
|Map and parcel||18-8|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 3/3/2016|