Neo-Colonial style, Williamsburg - style
This parcel of land was once occupied by the James Byers house which stood where the current apartments are located to the rear of the property. The small drive on the south side of the building, now called Amici Way, was once the right-of-way to the Byers home. The access way was granted to James Byers by Francis Cogswell, president of the Boston & Maine Railroad Co. on October 7, 1870. It gave Byers permission to "create a road not less than 25' wide, across their land to his homestead - a private way to use on foot, with horses, cattle, and teams from the traveled way belonging to the Boston & Maine from the passenger depot to the Nathan Frye House, (now Railroad St), - Byers may make a suitable sidewalk and carriage road. - B & M reserved the right to lay track across the private way."
This parcel of land was acquired by the George B. Westhaver Trust on Sept. 18, 1959 from Theresa G. McDonald. The Westhaver Trust acquired most of the property west of Railroad St, East of Baker Lane, and south of Tyer Rubber Co. Westhaver sold this parcel to Micgudan Realty Trust, Michael S. Nicolosi in May 12, 1972. John F. & A. Patricia McGarry purchased the property on Oct. 3, 1977. The sixteen apartment units were constructed at this time.
In 1982 the professional office building in front at #18 Railroad St. was then built, attached to the apartment building in the rear. The building was designed by Jerry Bruno of North Andover, MA in a Williamsburg Style. Construction was completed by Coolidge Construction Co. of North Andover, a company owned by Atty. John McGarry, the owner of the property. It was designed to be energy efficient. The three floors were rented as professional office space with a plan of high tech tenants.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman - Sept. 9, 1982 - Office Building Under Construction
See maps #6605 Parcel "C" - bld. A three apts. bld. B two apts.
map #4584, #5043, #5149, #6310 and #8550 additional parcels
Andover Historical Society vertical files.
George Foster, Administrator - 1869
James Byers - June 19, 1869 - b. 778 leaf 154 Salem deeds
Right of Way from B&M RR - Oct. 7, 1870 - b. 24 p. 184 Lawrence deeds
James Byers estate, Alfred S. Byers heir - 1901
James & Catherine McDonald - Jan. 28, 1901 - b. 183 p. 153
James McDonald estate, Wm. L. McDonald, Adm. - Feb. 20, 1922 - b 456 p. 469 Probate
Mary A. McDonald & Theresa G. McDonald - Mar. 21, 1922 - b. 456 p. 470
Mary A. McDonald estate, Theresa G. McDonald heir - Aug.6, 1955 - Mary died
George B. Westhaver Trust - Sept. 18, 1959 - b. 901 p. 447
George B. Westhaver Trust - Oct. 9, 1962 - b. 971 p. 13 - parcel "C"
Micgudan Realty Trust, Michale S. Nicolosi - May 12, 1972 - b. 1193 p. 70
John F. & A. Patricia McGarry - Oct. 3, 1977 - b. 1321 p. 2 & 3
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||McGarry Office Building|
|Present Use||Professional offices/apartments|
|Architect/Builder||Jerry Bruno of North Andover|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Apartment building attached to rear|
|Map and parcel||54-57|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Dec. 12, 2014|