Commercial apartment building, wood construction, brick veneer, 27 units, 84 rooms, 30 bedrooms.
This triangular lot property was once owned by the Boston & Maine Railroad Corporation and served as the access and drop off point for passengers at the Ballardvale train depot. The original train depot was located next to the tracks to the rear of this apartment building. With the construction of interstate highway Route 93 in the late 1950s, and Route 495 in the early 1960s commuter rail service dropped off considerably. Train commuter passenger service later ceased by the 1970's eliminating the need for the depot.
The Boston & Maine Railroad Corp. then sold off this lot to C. Lincoln Giles and wife E. Janice Giles on April 12, 1962. Linc Giles was an architect and developer and rehabbed several properties in Andover and the local area. The former United Methodist Church (2 Church St.)building and the corner commercial business block (185 Andover Street) are two other examples of Giles developments.
This apartment building design resembles the motel style popular during the 1950s and 1960's but has never been embraced as one of his best designs in Andover. The building, now called the Andover Crossing Apartments is however well maintained, fully occupied and meets the demand for rental units in the area. Now that the daily rail commuter service has been resumed to Boston and to Portland, Maine a passenger commuter parking lot and platform where built on the opposite side of the tracks.
Victor L. Hatem, of Salem, NH, purchased the building on June 20, 1969. The property has been held in several family trusts since that time with a management company in charge of continued maintenance off the property.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #4488 - April 1961 - C. Lincoln Giles
Boston & Maine Railroad Corporation - 1847 - 1962
C. Lincoln & E. Janice Giles - April 12, 1962 - b. 957 p. 334
Victor L. Hatem - June 20, 1969 - b. 1133 p. 273
Poste Realty Trust, Victor L. Hatem, Margaret L. Baril, - Dec. 27, 1976 - b. 1299 p. 318
Bixby & Co., Benjamin C. Osgood, Victor L. Hatem - Dec. 27, 1976 - b. 1299 p. 320
Regency Realty Trust, Robert E. Webster - Sept. 8, 1982 - b. 1604 p. 135
Samuel P. Thomas, Thomas J. Riquier, Mark J. Rosen, Christopher T. Hatch - Oct. 18, 1984 - b. 1882 p. 59 parcel #4
Thomas J. Riquier, Mark J. Rosen, Christopher T. Hatch, Trusts - Dec. 23, 1986 - b. 2388 p. 39 - parcel 2
Thomas J. Riquier, Mark J. Rosen, Christopher T. Hatch Family Trusts - Apr. 9, 1999 - b. 5398 pages, 205, 207 & 209
P. O. Ave, LJS, LLC - April 9, 1999 - b. 5398 pages, 205, 207 & 209 - parcel 2
P. O. Ave, LJS, LLC - May 10, 2013 - b. 13460 p. 198 - parcel 2
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Andover Crossing Apartments|
|Present Use||apartment building|
|Original Use||apartment building|
|Construction Date||1962 - 1963|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||C. Lincoln Giles/architect|
|Roof||flat - tar & gravel|
|Acreage||0.941 acre, 40,969 sq. feet|
|Map and parcel||138-7|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Nov. 14, 2016|