This house is of Federal style built circa 1835 as a side by side duplex - 2 front doors with two hallways, leading to 2nd floors and 2 more leading to the attic. Originally had 8 fireplaces which had been bricked in when central heating was installed. Two of them had beehive ovens - still in good condition. There are still 5 fireplaces exposed with their original mantels restored as are all the window casings and doors. The original front porch has been replaced, and the double doors have been replaced with one door, which serves all three apartments. The duplex is now (1998) a three apartment house. The house is built into a bank close to the sidewalk. (3 baths, 2 half baths, 10 rooms, 4 bedrooms.)
Themes: architectural, community development
On the 1830 map the site is marked "Ballards".
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property in the center of Ballardvale in 1847. The land was then sub-divided into house and store lots and the company began selling off parcels in 1848. John Marland and John Howe Jr. owned the parcel along Centre St. (now Center St.) and auctioned off 35 lots on July 28. 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbott and Porter of Boston.
The Ballardvale Machine shop would begin selling off their holdings in 1848. Samuel Abbott of Boston and William Abbott of Andover followed suit with their property on Oak and Tewksbury Streets. The greater portion of the village center was developed at this period of time.
This lot # 29 on the Marland & Howe 1847 map was sold to Asa H. Brown(e) at auction on July 28, 1847. Asa paid $639.14 for the lot. The deed was recorded on Aug.4, 1847. Asa H. and Joseph Browne took a mortgage with the Ballardvale Company. On Sept. 15, 1852 Asa sold one half of the parcel to Joseph for $225. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule list Asa & Joseph Brown; Dwelling house and house lot $2075.
Asa H. and Joseph were brothers, both born in Danvers, MA sons of Ebenezer & Emma Browne. Joseph bpt. Oct. 14, 1798 in Danvers, married on Dec. 3, 1828 in VT, to Lucy Elmira Parker b. Feb. 3, 1807 Cavendish, VT. daughter of Joseph & Emma "Amy" (Baldwin) Parker. Joseph & Lucy had four children; Marcella b. 1829, Sarah A., b. 1830, Julia M. b. 1841 all in Mason, NH and Mary F. b. 1844 in Andover. Joseph worked as factory operative in the Ballardvale Mill as a Bailer of woolen goods. He would later list his occupation as Harness Maker in the 1860 census. His sign still hangs (1996) in the basement where he carried on his business.
Asa H. Browne was bpt. Oct. 18, 1795 in Danvers, MA. Asa H. married on Oct. 28, 1829 Amanda Parker born May 15, 1799 in Cavendish, VT, dau. of Aaron Parker Jr. & Susan "Susie" (Sherman) Parker. Their intention recorded in Andover on Sept. 26, 1829. In the 1855 Mass. State census Asa is also listed as a Factory Operative but later becomes an express man (Andover Advertiser - A. H. Brown - Ballard Vale and Boston Express, Office in Boston, No. 5 Congress Square. Ballard Vale, Mass.) A 1875 deed suggests that Asa had moved to Cavendish VT. but we find both brothers still in Andover in 1870s. Asa H. died on Apr. 7, 1877 and Joseph died on Nov. 8, 1878.
In the 1880 census widow Lucy E. 73 is keep house. Her two daughters Julia M 39 and Mary F. 35 are both teachers. Sister-in-law Amanda P. Browne now 81 also resides with them. Amanda died on May 29, 1888 and Lucy on Oct. 4, 1891. Julia began her teaching career at the Holt District School on Salem St. in 1871-1873. She then taught the intermediate group at Ballardvale Center school from 1873-1878. Mary F. began at Ballardvale Center School in 1871 teaching the primary grades. She taught for a few years at the (Abbott) Village District School on Cuba Street but returned to Ballardvale and finished out her career at Bradlee School in 1896.
It appears that the property was inherited by Julia M. & Mary E. Browne as they are assessed on the home in 1920. Julia died on Sept. 29, 1924 and Mary on Aug. 8, 1932. All the Browne family are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery. The headstone spelling is Browne although the deeds and census list as Brown.
Joseph & Lucy's daughter Marcella Browne married Francis C. Kelly, "a carriage maker, who worked in Ballard Vale when the Machine Shop was used for that purpose." They later lived in Newton, MA. Marcella & Francis had two sons Edward P. and Arthur W. Kelly. Arthur Kelly, a grandson in this family, sold the property on 31 Dec 1981 to the present owners, Robert and Janice Henderson.
Received Andover Preservation Commission Award, May 1990 for Exterior Preservation and restoration of a historic house.
"The house was originally a side by side duplex... 2 front doors (a front entry was added between 1890 and 1900), 2 hallways, 2 stairways leading to the 2nd floor and 2 more leading to the attics. In 1981 the house had not been occupied for several years; it had been damaged, patched, vandalized and a small fire in one side... a very sad looking old house"
Starting in January 1982 the house was gutted to the studs and reconfigured to accommodate three apartments. The front porch vestibule was removed in August of that year. The house was converted into condominiums in 2005.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
Marland & Howe map Ballardvale Center - house and store lots July 1847
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation May 1848 - Franklin Darracott Engineer
Samuel Abbott & William Abbott house lots amp 1848
Andover maps; 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Janice Henderson supplied all inserts (1996) other than the Town of Andover Assessment Summary (Ruth Sharpe)
Newspaper article 'Lawrence Eagle Tribune, 26 March 1995 and other information in Andover Historic Building Survey binder.
John Marland & John Howe Jr. - June 1847
Asa Brown - July 28, 1847, rec. Aug. 4, 1847 - b. 386 leaf 232 - $639.14 - lot #29
Asa Brown & Joseph Brown - Sept. 15, 1852 - b. 466 leaf 35-36 - $225.
Asa Brown estate, wife Amanda heir - Apr. 7, 1877 -
Joseph Brown estate, wife Lucy & children heirs; - Nov. 8, 1878 intestate
Amanda Brown estate, Brown heirs - May 29, 1888
Lucy Brown estate; heirs Julia M. & Mary E. Brown - Oct. 4, 1891- no probate
Julia Brown estate, heir Lucy - Sept. 29, 1924 - no probate
Mary F. Brown estate, heirs - Aug. 8, 1932 probate #174,140
Arthur W. Kelley & Edward P. Kelley heirs -
Edward P. Kelly estate, Arthur P. Kelley heir - Probate Middlesex Co. #315430
Robert H. & Janice W. Henderson - Dec. 29, 1891 - b. 1553 p. 214
Shawn & Cynthia McKallagat - May 27, 1998 - b. 5065 p. 65
PAM Realty Trust, Patricia A. Stapinski, Trustee - Jan. 31, 2000 - b. 5670 p. 35
189 - 191 Andover Street Condominium - Aug. 31, 2004 - b. 9026 p. 326
189 - 191 Andover Street Condominium - b. 9027 p. 47
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Asa H. Browne & Joseph Browne House|
|Present Use||3 family residence (Feb 1998), residence (1975-77)|
|Original Use||2 family residence|
|Construction Date||1848 - 1850|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Entry porch added 1890-1900 (removed 1983) Stained glass windows removed to rear (1983) Porch and front entry (Aug 1983) Vinyl siding, replacement windows, Condo conversion 2005 - three resident units, one professional office unit.|
|Map and parcel||138-26|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe, James S. Batchelder (Ballardvale Historic District)|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77/1980s/1990/ Feb 1998, 9/2/2016|