Part of house ell-shaped, may be early; wood frame; 5 fireplaces, The second story bump out suggests it was added later. The original home may have begun as a Cape.
The property deeds "with buildings" go further back than originally stated. In 1778 we find John Sawin & Louis Sawin selling a two acre parcel with building at the north end of Preston's Plain to John Herrick on Oct. 16, 1778. Herrick paid 240 pounds 15 shillings for the property. Herrick purchased a second six acre parcel from Samuel Abbott Jr. of half improved land and half wooded on the Pond Meadow on April 10, 1783 for 19 pounds 10 shillings.
John Herrick sold to William Chandler Jr., wife Elizabeth on Sept. 3, 1784, with buildings there on for 86 p 7s 4p. Chandler held two years then sold for 90 pounds to Bosinger Foster, wife Mary, a merchant in Cambridge, MA on Nov. 23, 1786. Bosinger owned for ten years then selling to William Foster on Aug. 5, 1796. William was a Boston merchant. Upon his death Commissioners were assigned to divide up his real estate and this property was assigned to Mary S. Apthrop, wife of John Apthrop. They sold to Thomas C. Foster of Andover for $300 on June 1, 1825.
Isaac Goldsmith Jr., a carpenter, purchased the property for $300 from Foster on Dec. 15, 1826, recorded on Aug. 21, 1827. This home was the Isaac Goldsmith Jr. homestead and in the family for 98 years. Goldsmith most likely enlarged the house during his ownership. The house lot parcel was about 2 acres of land on the east side of the "Olde Boston Road". The road would later be named Woburn St. which began at the intersection of Phillips St. and ran to the Wilmington Line. About 1900 the Abbot St. name was extended to this junction point at Porter Rd. and what is now the beginning of Woburn St. today.
In the Andover Valuation of 1850 The Goldsmith dwelling house is valued at $400. barn and shed $100. The eleven acre farm value $280. His farm stock was $95. and he owned 3 Railroad shares $150. Issac Goldsmith Jr. was born in Andover on Feb. 25, 1803, son of Isaac & Martha (Burnham) Goldsmith. Isaac Jr., a carpenter, married on Sept. 26, 1832 to Lydia Favor, b. Oct. 11, 1801 in Weare, NH. daughter of Joseph & Hannah (Burnham) Favor. They had three children; Maria Lucinda b. Jan. 26, 1836, Abbie C. b. 1849 and son George H. b. 1850.
In the 1865 State census only son George is listed at home. In the 1870 Census grandson Arthur age 5 is living with his grand parents and a John Wiannah age 14 is working on the farm, Mattle Kenneson age 13 is a servant girl. Isaac died of Dropsy on August 10, 1870 and was buried in the new town cemetery Spring Grove. His widow Lydia died in May 1886 and was interred on the 25th.
Daughter Maria L. Goldsmith married Macellus Weld and had three children; Arthur B. b. 1865, Fred M. b. 1869 and Myra J. b. 1870.
Lydia left the Goldsmith estate and homestead to her grandchildren; Myra J. (Weld) Harding and Fred M. Weld.
In 1917 Fred M. Weld bought the property from Myra. Fred held the property until his death in 1924. Clover J. Stone, administrator of Weld's estate sold the property to Elizabeth Stickney on Jan. 3, 1925. Elizabeth was the wife of Charles C. Stickney, and owned 43 acres on the east side of the road which she had purchased from the Abbott heirs in 1886.
Elizabeth died in 1935 and her estate was sold to Walter E. Stickney of Salem, NH on December 1936. Walter divided u the parcel into 3 smaller parcels and sold the homestead lot "B" to his son Walter Stickney Jr. and wife Bertha in 1951. Stickney sold the property two years later to Paul & Natalie Cahill in Sept. 1953. Cahill owned for just 15 months then selling to Roger & Marjorie Stillman of Wilmington, MA. Stillman held the property for three years then moved to Short Hills, NJ. The house was then sold to Keith B. & Elaine Chisholm on Dec. 10, 1957.
The Chisholm family owned the homestead for 14 years then sold to Raymond A. and Rosemary (King) Nelson in June 1971. Nelson held for six years selling to current owner Warren R. Stone on October 20, 1977. Stone family has restored and meticulously maintained the home for 37 years of their stewardship. They received a Preservation Award in 1993 for their efforts.
1993 Preservation Award; see vertical file "Structure" at Andover Historical Society
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Andover Valuation 1850
Spring Grove Cemetery Burial Records
John Sawin & Lois Sawin -
John Herrick - Oct. 16, 1778, rec. 10/16/1784 - b. 141 leaf 259 - 2 acres w/blds
John Herrick, wife Mary - Apr. 10, 1783 - b. 141 leaf 258 - 6 acres
William Chandler Jr., wife Elizabeth - Sept. 3, 1784 - b. 141 leaf 258
Bosinger Foster of Cambridge - Nov. 23, 1786, rec. Aug. 2, 1787 - b. 148 leaf 84
William Foster - Aug. 5, 1796 rec. 3/14/1799 - b. 163 leaf 264 - w/blds
William Foster estate, of Boston - Commissioners, heir Mary S. Apthrop
John J. & Mary S. Apthrop -
Thomas C. Foster - June 1, 1825 - b. 239 leaf 136 - $300
Isaac Goldsmith Jr. - Dec. 15, 1826 rec. 8/21/1827 - b. 246 leaf 58 - $300
Isaac Goldsmith Jr. estate - August 10, 1870
Lydia Goldsmith, widow, life estate - Nov. 1871
Lydia Goldsmith Estate, May 1886
Myra J. (Weld) Harding and Fred M. Weld heirs - May 1886
Fred M. Weld - Sept. 15, 1917 - b. 380 p. 488
George M. Bronson - Dec. 11, 1918 - b. 394 p. 381 quit claim
Fred M. Weld - July 9, 1919 - b. 402 p. 542
Fred M. Weld estate, Clover J. Stone Adms. Nov. 1924 Probate
Elizabeth H. Stickney - Jan. 3, 1925 - b. 508 p. 30
Elizabeth H. Stickney estate, Melina Towne, Admx. - Dec. 1935 - Probate #178967
Walter E. Stickney, wife Ruth - Dec. 16, 1936 - b. 604 p. 399
Walter E. Stickney Jr., wife Bertha - Jan. 15, 1951 - b. 746 p. 514
Paul & Natalie Cahill - Sept. 23, 1953 - b. 781 p. 272
Roger G. & Marjorie K. Stillman - June 10, 1954 - b. 792 p. 237
Keith B. & Elaine M. Chisholm - Dec. 10, 1957 - b. 868 p. 97
Raymond A. & Rosemary (King) Nelson - June 17, 1971 - b. 1173 p. 321
Warren R. Stone - Oct. 20, 1977 - b. 1322 p. 393
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Isaac Goldmith Jr. House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Acreage||1.19 acres; 52,000 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 333'|
|Map and parcel||118-4|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 12/2014, 10/21/2018|