This home was built by the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. about 1845 as family tenement for employees of the company. The house was built on the west side of North Main St. on the current site of Wood Park but fronted on Poor St. which once ran across the west side of the park and ended where the current Christian Science Church is located. Four identical Cape style homes were built in a row and were known as the "Back Row" houses.
When Smith & Dove relocated to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) they began to sell off their properties in Frye Village. All seven homes on that location were sold to George H. Carlisle of Lawrence on May 3, 1907. Carlisle then surveyed the properties and divided them up into single lots. This home was located at #31 Poor Street at lot #4, map 10 and is numbered Poor Street in period directories. It was then sold to William M. Wood on July 30, 1909 and was Wood's first parcel acquired on the site of the future Wood Park. By 1919 Wood had acquired all seven properties and moved every property off site to a new location. The two double houses at 11- 13 and 15 - 17 and this Cape style home at #19 were moved about 1920 to the new Balmoral Street.
The home was saved becoming part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets. His architects added the full dormer on the front replacing two small dormers and redesigned to entrance.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first tenants of record in 1926 were Mellen U. & Mae Smart. Mellen was a foreman of the auto painting shop of the American Woolen Co. In 1943 the home was leased to Donald H. & Ina J. Court. Donald was the manage of the Camera Craft Shop in Lawrence.
This house was sold to Kenneth O. & Eileen K.. Wilson on Jan. 2, 1945. The Wilsons owned for 18 years. Ken b. 1906 was a mechanic. Eileen b. 1907 a housewife. Wilson sold to Kenneth L. & Barbara A. Dauber on Sept. 3, 1963. Ken b. 1932 was a service agent and Barbara b. Nov. 30, 1935 a housewife. The Dauber family owned the home for 45 years. Barbara died on June 10, 1996.
Kenneth died in 2008.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - Lot #32
31 Poor St. "Back Row" location;
John Smith - Dec. 29, 1841 - b. 335 leaf 99 - Salem deed
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 - Salem deed
George H. Carlisle - May 3, 1907 - b. 250 p. 545 - Lawrence deeds
William M. Wood - July 30, 1909 - b. 276 p. 227
19 Balmoral St. location;
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 33rd
Kenneth O. & Eileen K. Wilson - Jan. 2, 1945 - b. 670 p. 504
Kenneth L. & Barbara A. Dauber - Sept. 3, 1963 - b. 993 p. 439
Barbara A. Dauber estate, Kenneth L. Dauber, heir - June 10, 1996 - b. 5077 p. 311
Kenneth L. Dauber estate, Pamela S. Runge, Extrx. - 2008
Jeffco, Inc. Doug Ahern, pres. - Dec. 18, 2008 - b. 11406 p. 277
Alicia M. (Cronin) Pearsons - Sept. 30, 2009 - b. 11785 p. 53
Geoff & Kerry Piva - Nov. 29, 2012 - b. 13235 p. 181
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Smith & Dove "Back Row" Cottage|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||circa 1840 - 1845|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Full dormer and new entrance added when moved to this location Vinyl siding and replacement windows|
|Move Details||1919 - 1920|
|Map and parcel||36-10|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 7/2/2015|