19 Hidden Field

Architectural Description: 

Other features: unusual shape and window placement;

Historical Narrative: 

Present owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy -
Original owner: Andover Theological Seminary

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education

This home was originally built on Highland Road on the site of the Memorial Gymnasium addition to Borden Gym and was moved to Hidden Field in 1950. The building was listed in the Seminary purchase by Phillips Academy Trustees in 1908 as a bindery. The former Phillips District Schoolhouse (now 1924 House) sat next door to the east. The house was remodeled in 1889 and an additional ell added by Hardy & Cole of Andover. Professor David Young Comstock, a Latin teacher at the Academy from 1874 - 1892 lived here for many years. The house updated in 1935 and was named in his honor in 1941.

Inventory Data:

StreetHidden Field
PlacePhillips District
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameComstock House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Dateearly 19th century
SourceRobert A. Domingue's book "Phillips Academy Andover Massachusetts
Architectural StyleFederal
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresmodern garage
Major Alterations1889 ell addition, remodeled in 1935,
Move DetailsMoved in 1950 for construction of Memorial Gym.
Acreageless than one acre; lot size: 0.740 acres; Approximate frontage: 180'
Map and parcel57-55A
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 12/6/2017