This is one of the houses along "Faculty Row" on "The Hill", all of the Colonial type, square, solid and of wood. They represent some of the best architecture of this time, though they are not actually extravagant in plan or decoration. When they were put up and for years afterwards, these houses were enclosed by white fences and were uniformly painted white until the daughters of Moses Stuart dared to have their house painted a different shade while their father was out of town.
Themes: Architectural, community development, religion.
House built by David Hidden, brought to Andover to work on new seminary buildings. Built 1816, at bequest of Squire Samuel Abbot, benefactor of Andover Theological Seminary, for use of Professor Leonard Woods, who occupied the First Chair of Christian Theology, 1808-1854, Professor Emeritus. He taught 38 years and then died, 1854. It was the residence of theologians.
Later, home of Dr. Elijah Porter Barrows, Dr. Charles M. Mead, Dr. John Gulliver and from 1902, Dr. Pierson S. Page. In 1908 it was purchased by Phillips Academy, along with the other buildings of Andover Theological Seminary, which moved to Cambridge at that time.
This was one of the faculty homes erected, along with the academic buildings, within a span not exceeding six years. After the opening of the seminary, development in the Hill architecture was rapid, thanks largely to the efforts and talents of carpenter David Hidden.
House damaged by fire in 1965 but refurbished to original condition.
Andover Historical Society files.
Robbins, Sarah Stuart. Old Andover Days: Memories of a Puritan Childhood, Boston: Pilgrim Press,1908 p.144ff
Andover Townsman; Dec. 1965
Hidden, David. Tally Book Accounts,1816 - Andover Historical Society
Goldsmith, Bessie. Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
Elias Boudinot's Jouney to Boston in 1809, Princeton, N. J. 1955.
Woods, the Reverend Leonard. History of the Andover Theological Seminary, 1885
Rowe, Henry. History of Andover Theological Seminary, 1933.
Fuess, Claude. An Old New England School: History of Phillips Academy, 1917
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Pease House [or Leonard House]|
|Original Use||faculty residence|
|Major Alterations||fire damaged 1965|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Setting||Phillips Academy West Quadrant Area|
|Map and parcel||57-55|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|