Style/form: Neo-Colonial - 2 stories
A commercial building for 8 businesses plus storage. Built in 1960 by C. Lincoln Giles. Rest rooms and diagonal parking in front. Well maintained. 5 first floor entrances, restrooms 1st and 2nd floor. 2 entrances to second floor.
This corner was once occupied by a house and store block. The property was owned by Andrew Scott in the 1840's who lived near by at 14 Tewksbury St. Scott was involved with manufacturing at the Ballard Vale Company mills. Scott died on Dec. 13, 1850 and his estate was inherited by his wife and children. Andrew's widow Jeanette Scott was the administrator of the estate, via probate court in Nov. 1851. Jeanette Scott sold, at auction, this property to her son Archibald Scott, the highest bidder of $675. His brother Joseph Scott would later purchase the properties from the family estate in 1873 and 1874.
Andover Advertiser, July 19, 1856 – An Improvement – Ballard Vale – With the rail road change to pass through the village, there has been a dangerous place near the corner of the Andrew Scott Estate – Between the rail and the wall of the front yard of the house was only about twelve feet and the cars could not be seen from either road in approaching the crossing. An arrangement has been made for taking away the yard and removing the house back the width of it, so that here after the public highway will be 40 feet in the clear.
This parcel was sold to Bernard McEnroe on Mar. 21, 1874 for $1150. McEnroe owned for two years then selling to William Connell for $1275 on Mar. 20, 1876. William would transfer the deed to his wife Elizabeth Connell on Sept. 19, 1877. Three years later in Nov. 1880, Elizabeth takes a mortgage from the Trustees of Punchard Free School for $400. The Trustees held the mortgage deed for twenty years before foreclosing on the loan in June 1900. Elizabeth Connell owed $417.33 on the loan, but was unable to pay. The property was put up for auction on July 7, 1900 and was purchased for $900. by Frank O. Baldwin, the principal of Punchard Free School, as a conduit for the Trustees. He then transferred the deed to the Trustees who then paid off three existing mortgages on the property.
The Trustees later sold the property to Owen F. Caffrey on Nov. 11, 1909. Owen died in 1915 and his sister Margaret J. (Caffrey) Galvin inherited the property via probate. Margaret, wife of John Galvin held the property for 40 years then selling to David & Julia Kirkbright on Nov. 17, 1955. The Kirkbrights owned just four years and with the death of David, his widow Julia sold to Marion G. Hickey, wife of Walter C. on May 14, 1959.
C. Lincoln Giles purchased the property on Nov. 29, 1959. Giles, architect and contractor put his mark an several properties in Andover. Giles embraced a "Neo-Colonial" style, rehabilitating buildings while keeping the architectural elements. Giles trademarks were the use of used brick, multi-paned windows and updating run-down buildings for a 20th century living. Old Andover Village and the Frye House on North Main St. are two of his projects. When restoration was not an option, new buildings were designed to fit the space. This business block replaced two older buildings on the lot. One of the first occupants of the new "Ballardvale Building" was the Corner Cupboard.
When the town of Andover razed the old Ballardvale Community Center in 1981, the Memorial Hall Library Ballardvale branch was moved into this building. Where the Ballardvale Cafe is today. A laundromat, variety store, cafe and Spinner's Pizza restaurant occupy the first floor (2016) with offices and a former video store "Video Viewpoint" on 2nd floor in 1991.
Spinners Pizza Parlor opened about 1995, owned by Eric DiCesare and his mother Darlene. Sundays General Store opened in 2001 and is owned by Kil Chon aka "Steve" and wife Boo aka "Jackie". A variety store, that also sells commuter rail tickets, beer & wine and coffee & snacks. In July 2005 to Best Value Laundromat and the Ballardvale Cafe opened for business. Anil & Sangita Patel is the owner of both businesses and also the current owners of the building.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
Marland & Howe map Ballardvale Center - house and store lots July 1847
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation May 1848 - Franklin Darracott Engineer
Samuel Abbott & William Abbott house lots amp 1848
Andover maps; 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Map plan #3973 - Apr. 30, 1956 - C. Lincoln Giles
Ballard Vale Gazette Aug. 2005
Andrew Scott - 1840's
Andrew Scott estate - Dec. 13, 1850 - Probate
Jeanette Scott, widow Admix. - Nov. 1851 - Probate
Archibald Scott - Jan. 3, 1852 - b. 456 leaf 19
Joseph Scott - June 20, 1873 - b. 24 p. 258 - 1/7
Joseph Scott - Feb. 26, 1874 - b. 26 pgs. 225-231
Bernard McEnroe - Mar. 21, 1874 - b. 27 p. 279 - $1150.
William Connell - Mar. 20, 1876 - b. 39 p. 230
John K. Tarbox - Sept. 19, 1877 - b. 48 p. 149 - transfer
Elizabeth Connell, wife of William - Sept. 19, 1877 - b. 48 p. 150
Connell to Trustees of Punchard Free School - Nov. 23, 1880 - b. 62 p. 371 - mtg.
Trustees of Punchard Free School - July 7, 1900 - b. 179 p. 558 - possession
Frank O. Baldwin - July 20, 1900 - b. 179 p. 558 - $900. deed transfer
Trustees of Punchard Free School - July 20, 19000 - b. 179 p. 561
Owen F. Caffrey - Nov. 11, 1909 - b. 281 p. 348
Owen F. Caffrey estate, heir Margaret J. (Caffrey) Galvin - 1915 - Probate
David & Julia Kirkbright - Nov. 17, 1955 - b. 824 p. 183
David Kirkbright estate, heir Julia Kirkbright - Essex probate #115082
Marion G. Hickey, wife of Walter C. - May 14, 1959 - b. 894 p. 311
C. Lincoln Giles - Nov. 29, 1959 - b. 906 p. 74
C. Lincoln Giles estate, Philip Strome, Receiver - Chapter 11 - 1971
John M. McCoy - Mar. 15, 1971 - b. 1171 p. 371
James M. & Phyllis J. Cassidy - Jan. 12, 1982 - b. 1556 p. 131
Donald I. & Barbara L. Richmond - Oct. 29, 1985 - 1884 p. 150
Parthiv Corporation - Jan. 3, 2005 - b. 9286 p. 117
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||The Ballardvale Building|
|Present Use||Multi - business block|
|Original Use||Multi - business block|
|Architect/Builder||C. Lincoln Giles/architect|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards, brick, wood|
|Roof||tar and gravel|
|Map and parcel||157-39|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 1997, 9/1/2016|