NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Other features: Door hoods on brackets appears to be somewhat later. Brick columns in frame, earth basement
This house built in 1848 for Hector Linn in the Greek Revival style. It has a large attic with 1 North window and 1 South window. The 2nd story has 2 large rooms, 2 small rooms, and one very small room (pantry). The space on the first floor was used for business. The 1st floor rooms had high ceilings and was rented as a store. It has a walk-in cellar with a dirt floor. Originally had a well in the cellar. Foundation has stone & granite slabs on three sides and brick in the back. Off-center chimney of brick, typical of the houses built at that time. A 2 story addition made in 1898 when the drug store took over was removed in 1948. Porch added in 1963.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Original owner Hector Linn purchased the lot from Andrew Scott for $500 on May 5, 1848. Linn, a merchant tailor, had the home built. Hector Linn was born in Scotland in 1820 son of Walter & Margaret Linn. Linn is assess taxes in Andover in the 1840's. Hector married Jane Scott, intentions published on Sept. 29, 1848. Jane was born in 1820 in Scotland, daughter of Andrew & Jeanette (Morrison) Scott. The lot was purchased from his father-in-law. The 1850 Andover Valuation Schedule list Hector Linn in the West Parish (west of the Shawsheen River) Dwelling house & house lot $1300. Sadly his wife Jane died on Dec. 26, 1851 of Dysentery, 500 miles west of Panama. She is interred at Christ Church Cemetery, Andover, MA. It is not known why she was in Panama. Linn owned the home for a little over 12 years but moved to Lawrence after his wife's death.
Hector Linn sold the property to John Morrison for $1600 on Jan. 3, 1861. Morrison ran a store in 1861. 1872 map store located on this site.,1885 AA - Advert. - Dealer in Dry & Fancy Goods, Boots, shoes, Clothing, Stationary, Confectionary, Nuts, Fruit, Etc. Ballard Vale , Mass. With John's death his widow Elizabeth and their children; Annie M. Morrison, Nellie M. Parrish, wife of William of Newark, Ohio, John W. Morrison of Boston inherit the property. Elizabeth Morrison, now living in Wakefield, sells to Charles H. Shattuck, Jr.. a doctor, for $2520.97 on March 20, 1890. Dr. Shattuck, wife Elizabeth B., was a druggist and ran a drug store. On April 17, 1912 Shattuck sold the property to Winnie P. Parker, wife of Ralph Goldsmith Parker.
Ralph G. Parker was b. May 22, 1884, son of William F. & Hannah R. (Goldsmith) Parker. Ralph married on Aug. 18, 1908 to Winnie Pearl Nason b. Feb. 8, 1886 in Medford, Maine, dau. of Benjamin F. & Clara A. (Clapp) Nason. In 1910 they reside with his parents and brother Converse F. Parker on Clark Rd. Converse is a retail fruit merchant and his father and brother Ralph are fruit wagon drivers.
In 1912 Ralph & Winnie move to their home on Andover St. In 1920 Ralph is listed as a Clerk in a General Drug Store. They have four children; Grace Vivian, b. 1910, Margaret Estelle b. 1912, Converse Goldsmith b. 1914 and Barbara Louise b. in 1923.
It has been state that Converse F. Parker built a boathouse on the river behind the home and rented canoes. It was later enlarged and a second story added with a veranda overlooking the mill pond of the river. It became a popular weekend spot with dancing and entertainment in the hall. On Sept. 30, 1929 with the Andover Savings Bank took the property from Winnie, but Converse bought it at auction for $2412. It was deed back to her in June 1930. Her husband Ralph had died on Jan. 20, 1930 in Danvers, MA.
Winnie took another loan with the Lawrence Cooperative Bank in 1932 which would force a mortgage sale two years later in 1934. The bank later sold the property to Michael Mullaney, new husband of Winnie P. on Aug. 17, 1935. Mr. Mullaney held for two years then selling to the Lawrence Coop Bank which then sold to Ralph N. Sharpe and Lincoln A. Sharpe on October 9, 1937.
Ralph N. Sharpe was married to Ruth Davis whom many remember as the Ballardvale Librarian and local historian. Ralph and Ruth raised their family here. Ruth worked many long hours researching properties to be included in the Ballardvale National Historic Register District and later the Ballardvale Local District. Ruth died on January 5, 2003 and her son Ralph Jr., Administrator of the estate, then sold the property to Sharon Ristuccia Trustee of the Ando Realty Trust.
A barn canoe house and an Ice house were built along the river bank. by the Parkers.
A piazza, the length of the East side of the original house was added at the time the 2 story 5 room ell was added to the rear.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence MA
June 1990 Award for Exterior Preservation
Book page 3505 - 8100, (24 Oct 1980)
Andrew Scott - 1848 - land
Hector P. Linn - May 5, 1848 - b. 397 leaf 38 - $500
John Morrison - Jan/ 3, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 101 - $1600
John Morrison - Mar. 8, 1861 - b. 674 leaf 211 - from Scott heirs
John Morrison estate, heir wife Elizabeth & four children
Elizabeth Morrison & Annie M. Morrison -
Charles H. Shattuck Jr., wife Elizabeth B. - Mar. 20, 1890 - b. 105 p. 555 - $2520.97
Winnie P. Parker - Apr. 17, 1912 - b.316 p. 56
Andover Savings Bank - Sept. 30, 1929 - b. 548 p. 403 - mtg. deed
Converse F. Parker, wife Nellie M. - Sept. 30, 1929 - b. 548 p. 404 - $2412.
Winnie P. Parker - June 6, 1930 - b. 552 p. 276
Lawrence Coop Bank - Oct. 15, 1934 - b. 582 p. 424 - mtg deed sale
Michael W. Mullaney, wife Winnie P. - Aug. 17, 1935 - b. 592 p. 355
Lawrence Coop Bank - Aug. 30, 1937 - b. 610 p. 202 mtg. deed
Ralph N Sharpe & Lincoln A. Sharpe - Oct. 9, 1937 - b. 611 p. 27
Ralph N. Sharpe estate, heir Ruth N. Sharpe
Ruth N. Sharpe estate, Ralph Norman Sharpe Jr. Adm. - Jan. 5, 2003 - Probate
373 Ando Realty Trust, Sharon Ristuccia, Trustee - Jan. 13, 2004 - b. 8512 p. 239
Bank United - Green River Capitol, LLC - May 2, 2011 - b. 12485 p. 188 - mtg. sale
Shane F. Marrion - June 6, 2011 - b. 12530 p. 119
Dennis V. Sawyer & Robert E. Roy - May 1, 2013 - b. 13451 p. 27
Peter J. & Katheryn A. Mahoney - Sept. 17, 2013 - b. 13636 p. 349
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Linn - Morrison - Shattuck House & "Parker's on the Shawsheen"|
|Original Use||residence & store|
|Construction Date||1848 - 1849|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||3 sides Granite, back brick|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||5 room Ell and drug store front added (1898), removed in 1948. Porch added (1963) Entry porch in later (circa 1890 - 1900), removed 1983 Stained glass windows removed to rear|
|Acreage||0.244 ac Lot size: 12,656 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 60'|
|Setting||slight rise from road, 15 feet back. Back boundary South-East Shawsheen River; West side, Boston and Maine Railroad.|
|Map and parcel||157-43|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic Distric) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977; Feb 1998, 9/29/2016|