classic entrance doorway Greek Revival style
The site of the Meredith Village condominiums built in 1994-1995 was once occupied by a small yellow Greek Revival farmhouse. During the 20th century the property was owned by the Stevens family. Arthur R. Stevens born in 1867 in Ashland, MA married Mabel Louise Witt b. 1873 in Maine. They lived in Ashland before coming to Andover.
Arthur Stevens purchased the small farm of 17 acres 152 rods at 197 High St. from Richard J. Dodson on Sept. 26, 1900.
Arthur & Mabel had four children; Paul Roland II b. 1896 in Ashland, Dorothy L. b. 1905, Beatrice b. 1907 and Ralph b. 1908. Daughters Dorothy L. and Beatrice would later inherit the property. Arthur died in 1931 and Mabel in 1938 as did brother Paul. Ralph who continued to farm the land died in 1957.
Dorothy Stevens was a stenographer for a bank. Beatrice Stevens is remembered by many students in Andover as an English teacher at Punchard High School and later Andover High School. Beatrice was also a graduate of Punchard High School.
Beatrice and Dorothy sold their family home to Picwell Builders, Inc. on Jan. 30, 1990. A few years later Meredith Village replaced the former Greek Revival house.
The property was once owned by Abiel Wilson of North Andover who sold to Richard J. Dodson and wife Hannah on Aug. 12, 1884. Dodson paid $1795 for the property known as Temple Pasture.
See AHS vertical file, 197 High
Abiel Wilson - 1884
Richard J. Dodson, wife Hannah - Aug. 12, 1884 - b. 77 p. 450
Arthur R. Stevens - Sept. 26, 1900 - b. 180 p. 458
Arthur R. Stevens estate - 1931 - Probate #256930
Stevens heirs: Mabel, Paul, Dorothy, Beatrice and Ralph Stevens
Mabel Stevens estate 1938 heirs: Dorothy, Beatrice and Ralph Stevens
Dorothy and Beatrice Stevens - 1957
Picwel Builders Inc. Jan. 30, 1990 - b. 3062 p. 177
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Original Use||residence - farmhouse|
|Construction Date||c. 1850's - 60's|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard / clad with aluminum clapboard|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn|
|Major Alterations||aluminum siding|
|Demolition Details||1995 home razed for condo development|
|Map and parcel||1-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/17/2016|