NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Greek Revival home, same design as 197 Andover St., set close to sidewalk in center of village - near railroad tracks and main thoroughfare, entrance on east side of home.
Themes: architectural, community development, industry
This house was formerly numbered as #347 then changed to #199
This home was once mill housing for J. P. Bradlee Mills formerly the Ballard Vale Mill Company and probably built about 1848-1850. With the death of Josiah Putnam Bradlee in 1887 his estate trustee was William H. Hodgkins of Boston. The estate remained in Trust until the death of Bradlee's sister. Hodgkins then sold off the holdings to the Ballard Vale Mill Co. on Feb. 6, 1905. When the company closed the properties were then sold to individual owners. This property was the second parcel in the deed sale to the Ballard Vale Mill Co. and included lots #12 & #13. The parcel was sub-divided in 1926 and this lot #12 on the western side of the lot was sold with house to William Jaques on Aug. 2, 1926. Jaques held the property for 12 years then selling to Ethel M. WIlson, wife of John M. Wilson on Apr. 5, 1938. Wilson owned until 1953 when they sold to Theodore A. & Lucy Doucette. Theodore b. 1909 is listed as a Cook in the Andover Directories.
John M. Wilson was the owner and proprietor of Wilson's Service Station across the street at 202 Andover St. which they purchased in November 1939 and then sold in 1943.
Development of mill housing along Andover Street, High, Tewksbury, Clark Sts. etc. during 1850's - for employees of Ballardvale Mills and later Bradlee Mills.
A four-page contract and notes among Jacob Chickering's Records at North Andover Historical Society describing general work for John Marland & Co. dated Jan. 27, 1857.
It is unkown if Chickering built this home.
Historic District Certificate distributed 4-2-87
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence MA
Ballard Vale Mills Co.
J. Putnam Bradlee -
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins Tr. - 1889
Ballardvale Mills Company - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238 (p.240 parcel 2 lots #12 & #13)
William Jaques, wife Mertie P. - Aug. 2, 1926 - b. 525 p. 155 - west side of parcel lot #12
Ethel M. Wilson, wife of John M. - Apr. 4, 1938 - b. 614 p. 174
Theodore A. & Lucy E. Doucette - June 26, 1953 - b. 777 p. 300
Armand M. & Rosemary LaFrance - July 18, 1968 - b. 1105 p. 292
Robert C. & Sarah M. Piantoni - Mar. 31, 1978 - b. 1334 p. 629
199 Andover Realty Trust, Robert Piantoni Tr., July 31, 1989 - b. 2560 p. 4
A. Russell & Donna I. Pascoe - Feb. 2, 2000 - b. 5671 p. 104
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Ballardvale Mill Worker Housing|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Original Use||residence, Mill housing|
|Construction Date||1848 (1851)|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, rear addition (no record of this)|
|Acreage||0.071 acre; 3088 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 50'|
|Map and parcel||157-42|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Comission) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77; Jan 1996, 9/29/2016|