Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. . All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Carisbrooke St. takes its name from Carisbrooke Castle, Newport, Isle of Wight, England. An Elizabethan artillery fortress, Charles I was imprisoned here before his execution. It is also a Royal summer residence.
Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. The town of Andover purchased land from York Street to the Boston and Maine Railroad for the use of a Town Farm or Alms House in 1807.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
A walk down Carisbrooke Street does not disappoint. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors and some have garages to the rear. Many have enclosed the open porches for additional rooms on the interiors. The wide street and mature landscape add to the charm of the neighborhood.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 & 1926 were Arthur A & Mercie B. Ryder. Arthur was an accountant for the American Woolen Co. A son Arthur Jr. is also listed.
This house was sold to William L. & Elizabeth C. Wilkinson on Nov. 25, 1932. William was a designer in the Wood Mill in Lawrence. Wilkinson owned for 14 years then selling to Lena Aussubel, wife of Baruch Aussubel on Oct. 22, 1946.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #9
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 13th parcel
William L. & Elizabeth Wilkinson - Nov. 25, 1932 - b. 567 p. 296
Lena Aussubel, hus. Baruch Aussubel - Oct. 22, 1946 - b. 690 p. 138
William A. & Lillian A. Harnedy - Feb. 23, 1951 - b. 747 p. 541
Ralph E. & Elizabeth Bauman - Dec. 1969 - b. 1146 p. 105
Ralph E. Bauman - Jan. 17, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 635
Joseph E. Lyons Jr. - June 29, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 16
Joseph E. & Carol Ann Lyons Jr. - Apr. 10, 1974 - b. 1239 p. 211
Andrew & Patricia J. Kress - Sept. 12, 1978 - b. 1350 p. 714
Patricia J. Kress - Jan. 11, 1980 - b. 1416 p. 198
Peter H. & Susan A. Infantine - Apr. 30, 1982 - b. 1573 p. 23
Christopher S. & Mary E. Hartnett - July 24, 1996 - b. 4554 p. 34
Yiwei Qi & Jiang Hong Yu - Aug. 26, 2004 - b. 9011 p. 303
Sarah H. Parsons - June 2, 2010 - b. 12074 p. 147
Sarah H. Parsons Revocable Trust of 2013 - Mar. 19, 2014 - b. 13800 p. 30
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||William & Elizabeth Wilkinson House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||Aluminum siding|
|Map and parcel||36-22|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/18/2015|