Post WWII modern Cape style ranch home with attached garage,
This home was built in 1950 on an empty lot that was part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This lot was not developed as the location of Corbert Street originally cut diagonally across this area terminating at Poor St. The area was redesigned to accommodate the new Shawsheen School in 1923 - 1924.
This house lot was sold to by the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company to William C. & Monica Ford Skulley on Oct. 31, 1949. The house was built and completed in 1950. William C. Skulley b. 1907 was a Real Estate Rep. His wife Monica Ford Skully b. 1910 was a first grade teacher at West Elementary School from 1954 - 1960. Mrs. Skulley graduated from Twitchell's Kindergarten School, later re-named Springfield Kindergarten Normal School.
The Skulleys sold to Edward L. & Edith B. Smith on July 31, 1962. and a year later the home was sold again to Lee Grune of Atlanta , GA on June 25, 1963. Lee was a counselor and her husband Werner N. Grune a professor. The property was placed in the Magnolia Realty Trust, Lee Grune, Tr. on July 26, 1995.
Evan S. & Susan Teplow - May 2, 1997
Stephen P. & Elizabeth H. Gruenberg - Mar. 8, 2002
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 338
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 27, 1934 - b. 586 p. 43 - 10th parcel (p. 46)
William C. & Monica Ford Skulley - Oct. 31, 1949 - b. 729 p. 402 - lot of land
Edward L. & Edith B. Smith - July 31, 1962 - b. 964 p. 181
Lee Grune - June 25, 1963 - b. 989 p. 421
Magnolia Realty Trust, Lee Grune, Tr. - July 26, 1995 - b. 4308 p. 136
Evan S. & Susan Teplow - May 2, 1997 - b. 4745 p. 188
Stephen P. & Elizabeth H. Gruenberg - Mar. 8, 2002 - b. 6712 p. 120
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Skulley House|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||52-124|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/30/2015|