The Simeone Building was built in 1933 by Paul & Louise Simeone who had established a fruit, confectionery and soda business in the Musgrove Building in 1907. The Simone family leased the former Derby/Valpey building on this site from Helen C. Allen in 1931. Their wish was to establish a business for their son William who was a registered druggist. The 20 year lease included an option to buy which they exercised in 1933.
The tenants, The Epicure Market moved back to Lawrence and the Kafiades Shoe Shine Shop temporally relocated to Post Office Ave. The former Derby/Valpey building was razed the first week of July 1933.
The new brick and stone building was constructed by John Glynn of Lawrence, MA and the masonry work of was done by Edward Hall of Ballardvale. The one story building was designed to complement the Barnard Block next door using similar building materials but the style has both classical dentil banding and Art Deco design elements in the corner pediment and in the font choice of the Simeone name. The original design of the building included four stores, one small shop to the rear on Post Office Ave. and three store fronts on Main Street.
The Simeone family opened their corner drugstore, at 2 Main Street, complete with marble soda fountain in the fall of 1933. They continued with the pharmacy until the 1980s when their focus then specialized on medical supplies. They closed in 1994? "Trapeze" a women’s clothing store occupied the corner store for a brief time followed in August 1996 by Underground Music, owned by Tom Aylward who moved over from the basement of the Barnard Building.
Alper’s Fine Art gallery then opened in the vacated space specializing in traditional contemporary artist’s works. They closed in 2009. "Undercover Wear Boutique" for women opened in 2010-2011, Bobble & Lace in May 2011
The additional store fronts at #4 & #6 have housed several businesses over the years.
W. A. Allen Victrola Shop, X-L Cleaners and Doherty Insurance Co. occupied this space from 1953 – 1964. The building facade has been remodeled several times through the decades and the two smaller stores have now become one. Deb’s Den, a trendy woman’s clothing store, opened after Doherty Insurance move to Elm St. The Lawrence Cooperative Bank and the Kitchen Korner all preceded the Andover’s Gift Shop owned by Debbie & Robert Lane, which opened on October 1, 1982 at 10 Post Office Ave. The Lanes purchased the former “Mixed Company” English goods and consignment shop on P.O. Ave, changed the name as soon as they could afford a new sign. They moved to 4 Main St. in May 1992 where it continued until 2012.
The small store to the rear on Post Office Ave. is the only store front of this building that still has the original front facade intact. The first occupant was Kafiades Shoe Shine Shop. It was for many years the office space of Morrissey’s Taxi Service in the 1950’s & 60’s. Other new businesses began at this location. Some later moved to larger quarters while others did not survive. The small shop is now part of the main retail space of the corner store Bobbles & Lace.
List of some former tenants'
Bobbles & Lace, 2 Main Street (2011-present)
Undercover Boutique (lingerie) (2009-2011)
Alper’s Fine Art (2000-2009)
Underground Music (1998)
Medical Supplies (“Andover Home Health”) (closed 1994)
Simeone’s Pharmacy and Sodas, 1933-1994
4 Main Street
Madox Jewelry & Accessories (2013)
Andovers Gift Shop (1990 - 2012)
Kitchen Korner (1985 - 1990)
Lawrence Cooperative Bank (1977)
Deb’s Den, “Teen Fashion Center” (1965)
Doherty Insurance Company, 1953 to 21 Elm Street in 1964
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Evolution of Main St. 2014 - Gail Ralston
Thomas C. Foster - land
John Flint Jr. - Nov. 13, 1818 - b. 219 leaf 78 Salem Deeds
Benjamin H. Punchard - Nov. 1, 1828 - b. 250 leaf 71
John Derby & Henry L. Stone - April 19, 1834 - b. 273 leaf 298
John Derby & Michael Sands - Sept. 16, 1857 - b. 559 lf. 108
Terrance Henry - Jan. 1, 1872 - b. 12 p. 554 – Lawrence Deeds
Geo. H. & Ezra H. Valpey - Jan 1, 1874 - b. 25 p. 170 – by auction
Helen C. Allen & W. A. Allen - Aug. 1, 1913 - b. 333 pg. 99 lot 1 -Valpey
Helen C. Allen - Oct 12, 1913 - b. 337 pg. 365 - lot 2 - Barnard
Emma L. Allen Trustees - Dec. 1, 1931 - b. 562 p. 125
Lease to Paul Simeone 20 yrs. with option to buy.
Louise Simeone - 1933 b. 760 p. 489 New building
William F. Simeone Sr. Realty Trust - Dec. 28, 1979 - b. 1417 p. 52
Wm. F. Simeone Sr. Realty Trust - Aug. 1, 1981 - b. 1621 p. 214
Simeone Realty Trust - Aug. 1, 1982 - b. 1544 p. 32
Simeone Realty Trust - July 8, 1993 - b. 3777 p. 235
Casmira T. Simeone - Dec. 6, 1994 - b. 4177 p. 135
William F. Jr. & Casmira Simeone Family Trust - Mar. 18, 2009 - b. 11509 p. 167
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Simeone Block|
|Present Use||retail stores|
|Original Use||Drug Store & retail shops|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Moderne/Art Deco|
|Roof||flat - tar & gravel|
|Major Alterations||Facade and window changes and modifications|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||39-25|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 20, 2017|