On this corner of North Main and Stevens Streets stood a small single family cape style house that was built by the M. T. Stevens & Co. some time prior to WWI. It was listed as #186 North Main and was razed in the 1980s to make way for this business block currently listed as 2 Stevens St.
The four duplex apartment houses just south on the hill above of this lot were built by the M. T. Stevens & Co. about 1916 on the former north lawn of the Nathan Frye estate at #166 No. Main. The property was once owned by Abraham Marland from 1828-1849 and after his death Nathan Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849 - 1879.
Abraham Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village, which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village. The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings at Atria Marland Place, and a row of brick tenement houses.” Abraham Marland built his homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd.
In 1828 Marland bought the entire property which included the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of Land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849.
Nathan Frye was born in Andover and at age 14 entered the employment of Marland Manufacturing Co. He worked his way up to Superintendent of the mill and was elected president in 1849. The company sold Nathan ten acres land on the hill overlooking the mill pond and factory on December 31, 1852. The lot went from the Shawsheen River and mill pond, along Stevens St. to North Main St. and south to Railroad Street including the site of the Andover Commons, (former Tyer Rubber Co.) to the Free Church land and back along the ridge behind Bakers Lane and back down to the river. Nathan may have built the house (#166 No. Main St.) on the property prior to owning the land as his house and buildings are assessed 1850 at $4000. Through the years his entire family lived with them in the mansion house. (See #166 North Main for complete history)
Marland Mills were purchased by Moses T. Stevens of North Andover in 1879 and the company M. T. Stevens & Co. Inc, operated the Marland Mill until 1964. After WWII the company name changed to J. P. Stevens Co.
In 1953 the J. P. Stevens Co. began to divest itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents. Approval of the subdivision plans #2619 and #2020 by the Andover Board of Appeals occurred in Nov. 1952 and plan #3356 in Oct. 1955. Many of the 62 homes were occupied by employees of the mill and it appears as if the Steven’s Co. may have given them “first right of refusal” as many homes were purchased by those who had been renting. This lot was number 6 on plan #3356.
On October 29, 1956 Walter L. & Mary C. Calderwood purchased this property from J. P. Stevens & Co.
Walter was an overseer at the Marland Mill and had been renting the house in 1953 prior to owning. The Calderwoods are also here in 1943 along with son John who is in the U.S. Army. Others renting here were, 1926 - 1938 John B. McNaulty age 68 spinner and his sister Mary B. McNulty a dress maker in 1930. In 1939 - 1942 Phillip W. & Dorothy Hughes are listed. Phillip is a fireman at Marland Mill. 1943 lists Calderwood followed by Herschel L. & Vivian M. Cushan. Herschel is also an overseer. By 1947 & 1949 Eugene & Clemence Toutant are renting the house. Eugene age 61 is a carder. Clemence 57 is a housewife and daughter Rose M. age 36 a mender. By 1953 Calderwood has returned to #186.
Walter L. & Mary C. Calderwood sold the house to Clark Motor Co. Inc, Irving M. Leoff, pres. on Jan. 16, 1959. On March 8, 1965 the property was transferred to LeBaren Realty Trust, Irving Leoff and Robert G. Barenboim trustees.
The house was used as as investment income property and continued to be rented. 1961 Robert E. & Joanne C. Hughes have moved in from 54 Red Spring Rd. Robert is listed as a Methods Engineer. In 1965 Leo P. & Verna Provencal have moved in form Biddeford, Maine. Leo is in construction and Verna give her job. as a feeder. In 1971 Jeannette Donovan and her daughter Elaine M. are the residents.
LeBaren Realty Trust sells the property to Jeffrey D. Sheehy on Nov. 12, 1981 and six months later the property is sold to A. Leonard Seech in July 1982. The house is razed and plans are drawn for a new two story office building.
The property is placed into the Stevens Street Realty Trust, Curt Fever, Trustee, in June 1984. The trust has the building for 15 years then sells to Pearl Realty Group Limited Liability Co. on June 30, 1999 which continues ownership in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Marland Manufacturing Co., Abraham Marland Pres., - 1834 – Feb. 20, 1849
Marland Manufacturing Co., Nathan Frye, Pres. Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Nathan Frye – Dec. 31, 1852 – b. 471 leaf 223 Salem deed – Homestead lot
Nathan Frye – July 30, 1880 – b. 60 p. 540 – Andover Savings Bank mtg. discharge
Moses T. Stevens – Feb. 6, 1882 – b. 67 p. 540 – mtg. deed
Nathaniel Stevens – b. 88 p. 150 mtg. deed assigned
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
Nathan Frye Estate, Amanda, Charles H. and William Frye – Oct. 15, 1886 – b. 88 p. 148
Nathaniel Stevens – Oct. 15, 1886 – b. 88 p. 149
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Dec.17, 1912 – b. 325 p. 568
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
Walter L. & Mary C. Calderwood - October 29, 1956 - b. 844 p. 327
Clark Motor Co. Inc, Irving M. Leoff, pres. - Jan. 16, 1959 - b. 866 p. 434
LeBaren Realty Trust, Irving Leoff and Robert G. Barenboim - Mar. 8, 1965 - b. 1029 p. 209
Jeffrey D. Sheehy - Nov. 12, 1981 - b. 1545 p. 120
Jeffrey D. Sheehy - Dec. 11, 1981 - b. 1560 p. 139 codify deed
A. Leonard Seech - July 26, 1982 - b. 1592 p. 198
Stevens Street Realty Trust, Curt Fever, Trustee, - June 28, 1984 - b. 1829 p. 6
Pearl Realty Group Limited Liability Co. - June 30, 1999 - b. 5483 p. 73
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Present Use||Professional / Commercial|
|Original Use||Professional / Commercial|
|Foundation||concrete / brick|
|Wall/Trim||wood clapboards, coverd vinyl sided|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding added over wood|
|Demolition Details||house razed about 1982|
|Map and parcel||54-11|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Aug. 2014|